What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LODA

scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
Is there a directory somewhere of CFIs with LODAs? Insurance requires 5 hours in make and model. They have waived that due to my 9A time but I still want some time with a CFI before first flight. If I have to travel would prefer transition in a RV-7A with CS prop rather than a 6A with fixed that I am seeing be used. In the Southeast is desired so I could fly the 12 there.

Nearly 1000 hours in RV-9A and 12 but none in short wing RVs.

Last edited:
Is there a directory somewhere of CFIs with LODAs? Insurance requires 5 hours in make and model. If I have to travel would prefer transition in a RV-7A with CS prop rather than a 6A with fixed that I am seeing be used. In the Southeast is desired so I could fly the 12 there.

Nearly 1000 hours in RV-9A and 12 but none in short wing RVs.

When I got my initial insurance through Ghallager, I needed 1 hour nosewheel training in type, and RV 6, 7, 8, and 9?s were all the same in their eyes. And yes, she could tell me the difference in those models. I only had Cherokee time before the RV.

The insurance requirements seem a little much.

I fly a c/s -8 and a fixed pitch -9A, and their handling qualities are similar. Biggest differences are acceleration on takeoff (with all those directional control factors) and on final, full flaps and no power make the -8 come down like a brick. Lots easier to land the -8 if you keep in just a touch of power.

I'd think that one or two hours would suffice. Five hours sounds like a requirement for someone with no RV time.

Ed

After looking through notes I see they considered the 9A time as in type (make, model) but I still want a couple of hours to ramp up to the 7A since I have been flying a 12 the last 5 years.

Is your insurance company asking for "time in type" or "training"?

There is a big difference!

My insurance company wanted three hours in "Make and Model" and when I told them (this was 11 years ago) that there was no chance of getting any time in a -9 taildragger we negotiated it down to three hours in any side-by-side RV taildragger.

With that, I spent three hours in the right seat of a friend's RV-6. He only had brakes on the left side, which was fine with me. He never had to touch the controls or brakes and all was good with my first flight.

My insurance didn’t specify amount of time I had to fly but they did specify that the CFI must have at least 25 hours in my make and model, so I couldn’t just jump into another model and do my training for the RV-8. I guess they’ve seen enough data, since they insure all of them, and understand there’s a difference in how different models takeoff, fly, and land.

BTW, if you can fly your plane to where the CFI is and you use your plane for the training then you don’t need the LODA and it should be easier to find a CFI with experience in the configuration you want.

Last edited:
Back