What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TKATC-Tony

My thoughts to the family

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.
If there is anything you need please ask.

Horrible, horrible day. I never had the pleasure to meet Tony, but he was obviously a great man. I am so sorry for his loss.

Amy - I know that nothing can help at the moment, but please know that there are thousands of RVers thinking of you, and sharing your pain. We want to help in any way that we can.

Life is short and uncertain. If there is something important you want to do, don't wait for tomorrow. Do it today.

Amy, with profound sadness, I offer my condolences. There is nothing I can offer to what others have already said and I don't know what your faith is but I will add Tony's name to our prayer line at MASS tonight. Private prayer for you and Tony Jr.

God bless you and Tony Jr.

Wow, very sad news.

"Tony K., your VAF friends, you are cleared for vertical departure, direct. Godspeed."

Amy, there are a lot of us who benefitted from Tony's controller thread, his flying adventure stories and his overall enthusiasm for our sport.
He helped us, please, if we can now help you, let us know.

So sorry for your loss, I too remember his ask a controller thread, he gave me a view from the other side of the radio we talk on. He will be missed. May God give you comfort.

Amy,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It really means a lot that you took the time to post. I would hope my wife would do the same if something like this happened to me. I didn't know Tony personally, but I have benefitted greatly from his posting here.

You and yours are in our prayers!

Amy,
I too share your loss and can only pray that God helps you recover from this terrible loss of your Soul Mate. I never met Tony but I have read many of his post and enjoyed his insight on the controllers perspective.
I am sure with the spirit that Tony showed we will see him in heaven some day
May you and your family know that he was really loved by this group of pilots all flying their dreams.

Our deepest condolances to you and your family
Jack and Anita

so very sad

This is heart wrenching... I have never met him, but followes his build and read his posts. My heart goes out to his family.

Tears For Tony

Amy, words are hard to come by. so glad you were able to spend the years with your special sole mate. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

One More Roll

We toast our hearty comrades who have fallen from the skies, and were gently caught by God's own hand to be with him on High.

To dwell among the soaring clouds they've known so well before. From victory roll to tail chase, at heaven's very door.

As we fly among them there, we're sure to head their plea. To take care my friend, watch your six, and do one more roll for me.

This is very sad to hear. Tony contacted me a few times over the last two years because he was experiencing similar issues with his MT prop that I had dealt with. He was gracious to speak with and I finally had a chance to meet him in person at the RV flyin at DMW a couple of months ago. A super nice guy who will be missed by all.

Mrs. Kelly,

I hope the happy memories of Tony bring you and your family some comfort in this unimaginably difficult time. We will all be thinking of you, your family and Tony. We really do remember those flyers who go before us. And Tony will be with all of us until we each fly west.

Bryan

Tony, you WILL be missed..

To Amy, Tony Jr., Vlad, family, friends and VAF Family, my sincere condolences.

Tony was an excellent human being and a very good friend. I had the the extreme pleasure to meet him. He and I were partnered in a SportAir Workshop in Frederick, MD. I enjoyed working with him on our new adventure. I am building my -7A and he was building an -8.

He will be terribly missed by all. My heart and prayers to his family.

Godspeed, Tony.

Sad News

Found out on Saturday from Paul Tuttle the sad news. I wasn't able to make it to Stanley on the weekend that Tony, Vlad and everyone visited. Like everyone else I was shocked to learn about the sad news. The Vans community is a tight group that all share the same passion, so when we get news like this it hits hard.

My condelences to his family and friends and like it was said earlier, we are all her for you.

Sad News

Like many of you who have expressed such sincere words about Tony, I would like to add my condolences to Tony's family. I did not know Tony although I have read many of his posts here. Cindy and I will be praying for him and his loved ones.

Steve and Cindy

Devasting news

Just heard about this today. Amy thoughts and prayers coming your way from our family down in NC. Please reach out to the community with anything you need.

Very sad and shaking news. My condolences to his family, friends and the entire VAF community. I was keeping close eye to his RV8 build thread and his trips write ups and can not believe he passed away in another RV accident :(

Oh, Man! This is really a shame. I hadn't met Tony but everything he wrote here was of interest to me. His ATC wisdom will be missed. Condolences to his wife and son.

TKATC Tony

I am so sorry to hear this. I finally got to meet Tony a couple of weeks ago at an EAA fly in at Sky manor (N40) after reading and enjoying his post on here and trading emails and pm's over the last few months. I snapped a picture of him exiting "tweety bird" My condolences to his family.

Juan

TKATC

You know....... Reading all these posts about Tony, I wish I could have actually known him. I'll miss seeing TKATC on VAF. Prayers for his family and friends.

Very sad news. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I only met Tony once, but I followed his posts on VAF, especially Ask A Controller.

Fare winds and following seas.

My deepest condolences to Tony’s family and friends.
Vlad, I cannot offer any useful words other than you are welcome to visit all of us at KPTW to raise a bottle in Tony’s memory.

I only met Tony a few times and never really had much opportunity to delve into a single serious conversation. Mainly because everyone was too busy laughing, joking, and pulling one another’s chains. For those who never met the guy, this is probably the best way to remember him; a well-rounded, funny guy who accepted folks immediately and with a smile. An American version of Vlad.

These events hit us all differently. It reminds me a lot of my racing career and as such, maybe a few words will be helpful to some. We’d lose people, or see them maimed, and the effects were both devastating and predictable. Some would walk away from the sport. Others would climb back onto their bikes, shaken, but determine to face their demons and carry on. To those who think twice about their life choices after events like this, I have this to offer; As pointed out earlier, life is harsh and unfair. The way you face this determines whether you go through life cowering in fear, avoiding all risk and missing out on the great experiences in life, or bravely facing them with what we called a calculating eye toward risk. I didn’t know Tony all that well, or my friend Tommy, who died in a CJ-6 a several months ago. But I could tell one thing about them. Neither would have been happy dying by slipping on a wet tile in a bathroom. Both shared an obvious gusto for life and were LIVING it.

It’s really all that any of us can do.

Tony on the left at Sky Manor, right after receiving an award.
url]

After 20 years in aviation, and more so in the military, events like this have never gotten easier. We mourn the loss of friends, but what has always ripped my heart out are the spouses who have lost their mate, the parents that have lost their kids, and most importantly the kids who have lost their father or mother.

While we remember Tony (his work shop pictures made me decide I needed a beer fridge too, I'll miss his build updates), let us pray for his family and if you have the means or ability, support them however you can.

Very sad day.
I have heard it said many times that, we here at VAF are a family, but it has just truly sunk in that we are. There is no other way to explain my sadness.

Speechless and truly sorry for the lost to his family.

I will miss his posts and insight.

Be ready...

I sold Tony a tail-wheel recently for a project he was working on and really enjoyed chatting with him. Yes, he will be missed but thanks to many, not forgotten.

I have lost many of friends in Forty-plus years of aviation and in just about every aspect of flying including Combat. I've been to countless funerals and missing man fly-bys and stood next to pregnant widows, grieving families and children. It never gets any easier but it constantly reminds us that our time here is short and the need to be ready for eternity.

I'm ready, RU?

V/R
Smokey
www.iamanet.org

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you all for all of the kind words and funny stories and shared experiences. Tony loved this forum and all of you. He lived, ate and breathed airplanes. One of Tony's friends said to me last night that "Tony lived the dash (1970 - 2013). I think that's totally true. He was bigger than life, always had a smile and quick wit. I plan to stay on here and check out what you all have to say - sadly I have no ATC advice to offer.

So sorry

Amy, I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers
go out to you and your family. I met Tony recently
on a fly in trip to Nova Scotia. Tony gave me the name
"Token Al" short for the token liberal. Also "lumberjack" for snoring
so loudly in the bunk house and keeping him awake
all night, only to get some sleep by putting on his headset.

I did not know him well, but really enjoyed his humor, jokes
and his passion for building and flying. We all did, as well as the kind folks we visited. I remember well his almost constant easy smile. I will always remember
this trip, the great flying and exploring Nova Scotia. Tony absolutely was excited and blissful. His love for flying completely showed.

So sorry Amy.

One of Tony's friends said to me last night that "Tony lived the dash (1970 - 2013). I think that's totally true. He was bigger than life, always had a smile and quick wit. .

Amy,

Some people are somehow able to live 90 years of life in 43 years. What a blessing to be able to experience that...

Thread drift...............

Am I imagining things or did some responses to this question disappear?

Yes, I deleted a few comments that had gotten off track, although I agree with the statement, this thread is a tribute to Tony, and I would like it to stay that way.
And I also support the moderator who got the thread back on track. There were well intentioned replies, but on a tangent from the original thread subject. DCH

Last edited:
Fair enough. In my defense, I never met Tony, but the outpouring of love, affection and concern made me take a look at my life and where I was at. That's a pretty good tribute to him and the other posters as well.

Tony & Pilots n Paws

While at the Southeast Aviation Expo in Greenville, SC today, Ginger and I stopped by the Pilots n Paws booth. I mentioned to Ginger that a request had been made to make donations to the organization in Tony's honor. The lady in the booth overheard my comment and told us that there had been a good response to the family's request. She was very appreciative of Tony's and Amy's support. We spent some time discussing the impact Tony made in our lives.

TKATC Memorial Service

I had the pleasure of attending Tony's memorial service this morning. Was only able to stay for an hour then had to go into work to give some other controllers an opportunity to visit.

Driving to the funeral home. Huge knot in my stomach. It was the same feeling that I get whenever I strap into a new aircraft, line up and advance the throttle. But when I got to the funeral home and saw all the cars, all the people, all the photos, flowers and memorial items that feeling went away quickly.

There was an amazing showing of friends from all over. Quite impressive.

One thing that really caught my attention was right in the center of all the displays and floral arrangements. It was a huge photo. Had to be 3' wide and 5' high. Maybe not that big but the photo that was inside that frame spoke BIG. It was the photo taken as he base jumped off the New River Gorge bridge in W.V. His feet were just leaving the bridge. If I remember correctly Tony told me that a previous jumper had a malfunction and his chute did not deploy completely having a catastrophic ending. That did not deter or hinder Tony's goals. He was jumping no matter what. - You see, everything Tony did was BIG, everything Tony did was focused, everything Tony did was well planned and researched to the best of his ability.

It was great speaking with new and old friends, pilots, controllers reminiscing about a life lived BIG.

I never met Tony, I never emailed, messaged, or otherwise corresponded with him but I knew him. I knew him because his zest for life and passion for doing what we few, we happy few, indulge our yearnings for soaring above the earth and enjoying the stimulation of our senses and the humbling realization of just how finite our existence truly is when taking in the breathtaking sunsets, the morning mists settled in the hollows, that sunlit clouds all viewed, not limited by the vantage point of those who remain trapped on the surface, but from the wonder-inspiring view enabled by the view from up above.

It is a wonder worth remembering that mankind has enjoyed such privilege for just more than a century, a tiny sliver in time compared to the long march of the species on our tiny blue planet. We are truly blessed and for most of us it is a subject we hold in guarded silence, unable to express, or perhaps unwilling for, to those who have never had the opportunity or failed to take it, words remain a poor substitute. Of course we all know that for such advantages accrued there is a price to be paid, risks to be confronted, and, more often than we like to contemplate, tragedy to be met with steely resolve.

I knew Tony because he let me know, through his willingness to share, those feelings and experiences I?ve too held close; those seasonings of life that flight produces that those that know need few words to recognize and those that don?t will never know; could never know exactly what it is we are talking about.

As others have said, for those who have enjoyed this pastime for any length of time, whether professionally or merely as a recreation; I?ve had far too many friends and acquaintances who left before their time doing that which we all love.

I never met Tony but I didn?t need to for to understand the loss so keenly felt, the joy of remembrance so keenly felt, and the questions for which no answer can assuage the questions that all begin with ?Why?? I didn?t need to meet Tony because I knew him; that I did not meet him was my loss for the gain to my life such encounter would have inevitably led. But I knew Tony; He loved to fly and loved to share that joy with anyone who cared to seek his wisdom and infectious passion for the sky.

For Amy, his loved ones, and all his friends I grieve with you because I knew him, too.

For Amy, his loved ones, and all his friends I grieve with you because I knew him, too.

Amazing tribute, Richard. It's such an honor to "know" such people as Tony and all the fine folks in this community. It's an honor I rarely deserve but aspire to earn, by modeling my life more closely to those of the exemplars I meet here.

Thank you, Richard. Godspeed, Tony. Blessings to you and your son, Amy. May we all meet again.

--
Stephen

I too attended Tony's memorial service and the luncheon. The turn out was quite remarkable and while there's a lot I could say, two things kept rolling through my mind on the flight home. The first was how moving Taps is and how powerfully moving it is when it's played for someone you knew and cared about. Tears welled up in my eyes and I heard people sobbing all around. I hurt and it was beautiful at the same time and I can't explain it.

The second thing was something Amy said, and how she said it. It spoke volumes about how well she understood TK and their relationship. After the accident someone asked her why she let Tony buy the plane. Her response, and completely without regret was, "If I didn't let him buy it, I wouldn't be letting him be Tony." Its one thing to say that casually but another thing entirely to speak the words so deliberately today.

God Speed Tony. And, may God bless you and keep you Amy. Tony did live the dash but you are a rare wife who let him live it.

Hey Don wish we could have met. I did his euology. I was wondering how many skydivers and pilots were going to be there. I was shocked to see Governor Christie there. But that's Amy's dad. He knows a lot of people. We use to tease Tony about towing the line or his father-inlaw would get some concrete boots for him!

Butch, the stories you shared, echoed stories I think we all have of our experiences with Tony. Thanks for your words and your molding of Tony. Of course, Tony wasn't very "mold-able" so I'm sure you have plenty more stories you could share :)

I'll miss his "drop ins" here at my farm.

Last edited:
Back