What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: Did you install an oil filter adapter on your IO-390

Did you install an oil filter adapter on your IO-390?

• Yes I did and it makes oil changes easy!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yes I did, but its not worth the effort

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I did not - it is not necessary

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No I did not, but wish I had!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

MS19087

Well Known Member
Poll: Did you install a 90* oil filter adapter on your IO-390

Finalizing my Thunderbolt order for my RV-14A. I had an 90* adapter on my -9A (IO-320) which worked out nicely. For those IO-390 owners . . . do you find it a benefit when changing oil? Did it cause any installation issues (i.e oil line re-routing, etc?)

Thanks
(EDIT. Thanks Dan - yes 90* adapter)

Last edited:
We all have an oil filter adapter. Perhaps you are referring to a remote oil filter adapter?

I did Airwolf remote filter. Ordered oil lines to fit from TS/ASFlightlines. It was a bit of pain fitting the lines - took a couple of back-an-forth sessions with Tom, getting length and clocking just right. But it make oil changes Sooo easy. Plus I have quick drain from Vans on the oil drain plug.

IMG_0367.jpg

Adapter prior to installing on rear accessory case:

56650318592__80B3F7FE-ECB2-4BCA-BEBE-B1A7024B64B6.jpg

Last edited:
I?m not flying yet. I did not modify the stock IO-390 oil filter arrangement. Having a taildragger might help me catch the oil in the filter. Or it may lead to a huge mess. Since I?ve mounted the engine, there is no marginal change in installation process now versus after the first few oil changes.

Interesting....many ideas on this topic..
My own....Zip lock bag.
Med-lg zip lock pulled over filter and pad after loosening to finger tight before oil begins to drip...
continue to loosening with fingers until filter plops into bag. Box wrench will still fit filter nut over bag if need a little more loosening.
Relax a minute, then ease bag clear as a rag is place below engine filter pad to collect oil drops.
Easy as pie. No mess.

R

For those that want to utilize the remote mounted Airwolf filter, we have updated the website to include the hose kit for this filter. (http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-14.html) In addition, we have modified the FWF install guide www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV-14 FF.pdf to include a few new pieces of information. One of those items is the addition of the remote mounted airwolf filter kit for the RV14A.

If someone would like to install this kit on the 14TW, please contact us and we will be happy to work with you to ensure a perfect fit.

Thanks and happy building!!!!

For those that want to utilize the remote mounted Airwolf filter, we have updated the website to include the hose kit for this filter. (http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-14.html) In addition, we have modified the FWF install guide www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV-14 FF.pdf to include a few new pieces of information. One of those items is the addition of the remote mounted airwolf filter kit for the RV14A.

If someone would like to install this kit on the 14TW, please contact us and we will be happy to work with you to ensure a perfect fit.

Thanks and happy building!!!!

Great to see that you guys have standardized this. I'd add that it probably makes sense to attach the lines BEFORE mounting the filter bracket to the firewall: once the lines are attached it will be easy to mark the location on the firewall and fit it so that there is not strain on the lines and the clocking works. I attached the bracket first so I had to send lines back a couple of times to get it right (we used mockups to get it close) The lines have some flexibility in terms of length (can form hose a bit) but very little if any when it comes to clocking.

Back