What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clarification Of Magneto Option - Van's Website

Jetmart

Well Known Member
These are the options listed on Van's website for a Lycoming Thunderbolt 390 Engine.

IGNITION CONFIGURATION OPTIONS*
Note: Not avalable for IO-540 engines.

Two magnetos (one impulse coupled mag, one plain mag)
Remove plain magneto – $500.00
Remove both magnetos – $1,000.00
Replace plain magneto with e-mag + $1,200.00
Install one e-mag and remove second magneto + $700.00
Dual Impulse Magnetos + $500.00

What is the difference between Replace plain magneto with e-mag for $1,200 or Install one e-mag and remove second magneto for $700?

Last edited:
These are the options listed on Van's website for a Lycoming Thunderbolt 390 Engine.

IGNITION CONFIGURATION OPTIONS*
Note: Not avalable for IO-540 engines.

Two magnetos (one impulse coupled mag, one plain mag)
Remove plain magneto ? $500.00
Remove both magnetos ? $1,000.00
Replace plain magneto with e-mag + $1,200.00
Install one e-mag and remove second magneto + $700.00
Dual Impulse Magnetos + $500.00

What is the difference between Replace plain magneto with e-mag for $1,200 or Install one e-mag and remove second magneto for $700?

Just a difference in price of Emag and the $500 credit for deleting slick mags. You can remove any mag and get a $500 credit and you can buy your own ignition or if you replace anything with Emag, you will pay a $700 difference.

I think got it. The $700 cost would be 1 Emag only and the other side would have no mag of any type. Why is this an option? What could one put on there in addition to the EMag?

I think got it. The $700 cost would be 1 Emag only and the other side would have no mag of any type. Why is this an option? What could one put on there in addition to the EMag?

No. You keep one slick mag and pay $700 to replace the other slick mag with a mag. The factory gives you two mags to begin with.

Wow, sorry for being so slow with this. What do you get with the $1200 purchase?

Not sure. I may have misinterpreted also. I think you delete one mag and install an Emag either for $700 or $1200. Best to call them before I confuse things even more!

This is likely...

Replace plain magneto with e-mag + $1,200.00--->
This means you get the engine with an e-mag in one magneto spot and an impulse magneto in the other magneto spot.

Install one e-mag and remove second magneto + $700.00--->
This means you get the engine with an e-mag in one magneto spot and an open hole in the other magneto spot. This would let you use the included e-mag and one other ignition of your choice such as a Light Speed Engineering, EFII, Surefly, Electroair, SDS, or magneto.

Ok that makes sense now. I didn't not know there was so many other options. I now need to evaluate these other options.

Back