What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixture cable split

jwilbur

Well Known Member
Doing my first annual. Discovered a split in the outer sheath of my mixture cable. In the picture you can see the split in two places. Right side of the picture just right of the engine mount. Then in the center just left of the adel clamp.

1... Any theories on how this might have happened and how to prevent int he future?

2... What is your opinion regarding how to deal with this:
  • a..... replace the cable before further flight?
  • b..... patch it with some kind of tape and replace cable in the winter when I don't like flying anyway???
  • c..... It's not near anything where it's split, just check on it whenever the cowl is off?
  • d..... something else?

20180727_125142-_small.jpg

Joe:

If this is the cable you receive from Vans, pretty much all of them split especially wherever they make contact with structure and rub. These cables were not designed for aviation use (it says so on the labels that come with the cables).

FWIW, my solution has been to cover the split areas with some clear tubing that will withstand the temps in the engine compartment. About 18 months ago I replaced a mixture cable and before installation covered the areas that might rub with about 3 ft of reinforced refrigerator hose I purchased at Lowe's. It's held up really well and the green cable cover underneath hasn't split (yet).

Your results may vary, as they say.

Chris

Heat can also play heck with the Vans cables. I wrapped mine with reflective aluminum tape and also used a heat shield where it was close to the exhaust.

Back