What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OIL cooler bypass

whd721

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed an oilcooler bypass valve in an RV9?

I am running low oil temps all times.
I have installed a Vans oil cooler shutter on the rear on my oil cooler. It is closed always, except for tests to see if the oil temp dropped if I opened the shutter, It did. I have also blocked the front of the oil cooler with an Alum sheet.

My oil temps with both the front and rear blocked are 160-170 f in climb.

My oil temp gauge is correct at ambient temp. I will check it at my annual next month.

I do have a small Lycoming engine and it runs cool.

Has anyone considered this before?

Sounds like your engine is working exactly as it should. 170 degrees is a great temp to be running at. The vernatherm is already an "oil cooler bypass", keeping oil from flowing to your oil cooler until it reaches a higher temperature.

Many other threads out there discussing this exact topic. And a decent read from Lycoming themselves.

Has anyone installed an oilcooler bypass valve in an RV9?

I am running low oil temps all times.
I have installed a Vans oil cooler shutter on the rear on my oil cooler. It is closed always, except for tests to see if the oil temp dropped if I opened the shutter, It did. I have also blocked the front of the oil cooler with an Alum sheet.

My oil temps with both the front and rear blocked are 160-170 f in climb.

My oil temp gauge is correct at ambient temp. I will check it at my annual next month.

I do have a small Lycoming engine and it runs cool.

Has anyone considered this before?

Last edited:
Back