What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb heat shutter replacement

Peter M

Hi guys - I'd appreciate your advice as I did not build my RV-6 and am struggling to find a replacement part.

In my RV-6 I have a carburetted O-360 installed. On the front of the airbox is a cable operated carb heat shutter. The shutter is attached by a piano hinge which is seriously worn and hole in the shutter arm that connects to the carb heat actuating cable is seriously flogged out (enlarged). Photos of the airbox and shutter assembly are available at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100095942/IMG_1766.jpeg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100095942/IMG_1767.jpeg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100095942/IMG_1768.jpeg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100095942/IMG_1769.jpeg

What part should I order from Vans to replace the shutter and piano hinge? I think it's the "Filtered airbox - vertical draft" (http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1483412508-466-507&browse=engines&product=fab-vertical) but there's no detail about whether it includes the shutter and hinge:

Your advice would be appreciated.

Peter,
You are correct - it includes all the parts including the glass box, shutter, lever, and a bunch of other stuff to make the complete box. Everything in yours looks pretty good except as you say the shutter and hinge.

You could order all of the kit, or just a piece of hinge. The shutter itself you just cut yourself to fit your glass box out of some .032 aluminum. If your lever could be re-used, you wouldnt need to get a new one of those either. You should be able to use the pieces as a pattern to make the new ones.

It shouldn't be a real tricky part to make and replace - as long as you have the tools to do it. Maybe you can find a builder near you for help.

If you need some pictures or more info, send me an email. I am doing my FAB now.

Good luck - have fun.

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I'll get an order away to Vans today for the "Filtered airbox - vertical draft" and be happy in the knowledge that it will contain the bits that I need.

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I'll get an order away to Vans today for the "Filtered airbox - vertical draft" and be happy in the knowledge that it will contain the bits that I need.

That's a lot more parts and money than you need, especially after shipping it to your hemisphere.

If you have a builder nearby he'll probably have a scrap piece of 0.032 and a short hinge piece, and even build the replacement part for a few tinnies....:)

You should be able to re-use the control arm after removing the rivets. CORRECTION - looking at you pics, a new arm is needed, but it is simply a strip of alum. that is twisted to shape. Make a new one

PS are they still "tinnies" in NZ?

Last edited:
I just finished replacing my carb heat door, Vans sells a kit which you get the hinge, metal for door, lever and rivets. You do not get the wire nut which you will also need because I am sure yours is worn. You may want to replace the air seal at the same time. I am not home or I would give you part numbers. But call Vans they will help you?

Thanks Tim.

Rocky has offered to make me a replacement door and arm so I'm corresponding with him about that. However, if that doesn't work for some reason I'll give Vans a call.

Safe flying ...

I just finished replacing my carb heat door, Vans sells a kit which you get the hinge, metal for door, lever and rivets. You do not get the wire nut which you will also need because I am sure yours is worn. You may want to replace the air seal at the same time. I am not home or I would give you part numbers. But call Vans they will help you?

Thanks Gil

No - "tinnies" is an Australian term and they're a bit further west than us. It's "cans" here

That's a lot more parts and money than you need, especially after shipping it to your hemisphere.

If you have a builder nearby he'll probably have a scrap piece of 0.032 and a short hinge piece, and even build the replacement part for a few tinnies....:)

You should be able to re-use the control arm after removing the rivets. CORRECTION - looking at you pics, a new arm is needed, but it is simply a strip of alum. that is twisted to shape. Make a new one

PS are they still "tinnies" in NZ?

I had to do some maintenance on mine this year.

My RV-6 has the same arrangement as yours. The lever arm is held onto the shutter with two rivets, one near the centre of the shutter and one near the corner.

The rivet near the corner had sheared off. That put enough of a twisting load on the remaining rivet to turn it into a bit of a pivot point, so pulling the carb heat knob in the cockpit caused the arm to rotate aftwards around the center of the door, latching it in the carb-heat-off position.

The interesting thing was that the carb heat knob still had almost as much travel as it usually does, it just felt a bit "squishy" -- But pulling the knob was completely ineffectual, the carb heat system was unserviceable.

After grounding the aircraft, the repair was simple: Decowl, remove the FAB, drill out and replace the offending rivets, clean out the swarf, reinstall, check for proper function, go flying. A local SAAA member helped with the re-riveting (I'm a buyer, not a builder; don't have the right tools). The air filter didn't need to be removed from the carb.

- mark

Back