What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and Balance Question.

Farmdawg

I'm New Here
Hello All <S>.

I am completely new to the RV forum and the RV world. I like what I see and with me being retired Navy working with Aircraft for 23 Years I'm quite sure of my abilities to build one of these fine Aircraft. I like the RV-7 and that's what I'm leaning toward. But, I have a question that has been on my mind.

Weight and Balance? Would it be practical for me to build one with us and our weights. I weight 230 and my nonstandard FAA Wife well, I'll leave it at that. Total pax weight that I use for our 172 is 450lb. Where would that put us in an RV-7 weight and balance sheet? What's left over for any baggage?

I know that it is dependent on what options are installed and I would be going with steam gauges and a small GPS unit.

In advance, Thank you.

Mike aka "Farmdawg"

Not to get into the details, which are available via search, expect 1100-1150 for empty weight and 1800 max gross.

42 gallons of gas = 252 lbs (roughly)

So, 1150 gross leaves 398 for pax and luggage.

Also consider the RV-14 in your calculations.

Last edited:
You need to find someone in Ohio who will let both of you sit in a -7. Besides weight concerns, it may just feel too cramped (depending on your height, width, etc.). As mentioned, the -14 is significantly more roomy.
BTW, you may find that a "glass" panel is actually cheaper than conventional steam gauges (don't forget the cost of a vacuum pump, engine instruments), and it certainly will save a few pounds.
Good luck in your research!

W&b

Weight is one thing upper body strength to get in and out is another . Might look at the 10 as it has doors .

If you are building a plane that the bride will love to go with you in, build the RV-10. The RV-14, I offer, is your second choice as it is best characterized as a two place RV-10. A lot of room, higher gross and your bride will love it.

Carl
RV-8A (sold)
RV-10 (sold and no I'm not over it)
RV-14 (helper)
RV-8 (waiting on all the slow build kits to arrive)

The Truth in the matter.. Wife was pissed!

Well,

I finally got her true weight and I was wrong. :rolleyes: again of course. She weights 185 lbs and I weight 225, LOL, Fun conversation there hahaha.... She was like WHAT! REALLY! no defense on my part.

So, 410lbs in pax weight for now. I just got myself put on a diet. Perfectly honest this is not a bad thing. I really could lose some weight myself. I seem to be heavy one here.:cool:

Carl,

She loves the RV-10, I love the RV-14. But, both are out of our price point where we want to be. Thank you.

So, A light weight RV-7? empty weight around 1050-1100lbs?

Thank you for the advice.

Mike

Last edited:
Hello......Mike? are you still with us? Top gun.....I went to the DANGER ZONE!

Hi Mike,

Pretty much my whole family is "non standard" tall and a little heavy to more than a little heavy. I'm hoping this is an incentive to stick to the diet/exercise program. I'm building an RV-8 and everyone knows they have to come in under 220 to join in the fun.

For me the -8 is the best fit. Building the tall pilot option. I've sat in most of the other models and all feel tight laterally, even the RV-10 feels narrow.

Best of luck!

Bruce

If you are building a plane that the bride will love to go with you in, build the RV-10. The RV-14, I offer, is your second choice as it is best characterized as a two place RV-10. A lot of room, higher gross and your bride will love it.

I completely agree on the first point and completely disagree on the second. The -14 is a big -7, not a 2-place -10. Van's may have marketed it that way, but with no adjusting seats, no reclining seats, no doors, no baggage door, etc., it is simply a big -7(A).

I'm sure no one around here EVER flies a 7 just a tad over gross weight! ;)

I did fly recently at a Young Eagles Rally with a Young Eagle's Mom who was rather "Big Boned" as my wife would put it! It was rather annoying rubbing shoulders with her and a little embarrassing getting the seatbelts situated but we had a great flight! I did notice the 7 didn't jump off the ground like it did before with the kids. :p

Here is THREAD that includes a picture of an Excel spreadsheet with the weights filled in. Spreadsheets for several RVs can be downloaded from HERE.
I modified one of the spreadsheets for my RV-12. Out of curiosity, I plugged Farmdawg's weights into it. The RV-12 can carry him and his wife and full fuel, but no baggage. Balance is not a problem in the RV-12 because the people sit forward of the wing spar. The only concern is exceeding gross weight which is limited by government regulations, not by the RV-12's capabilities.

The only concern is exceeding gross weight which is limited by government regulations, not by the RV-12's capabilities.

Depends on your view point I guess.......

The RV-12 was specifically designed to the FAA's LSA gross weight limit (1320 lbs).

Flying at weights heavier than that is compromising the loads safety margins in numerous areas

I completely agree on the first point and completely disagree on the second. The -14 is a big -7, not a 2-place -10. Van's may have marketed it that way, but with no adjusting seats, no reclining seats, no doors, no baggage door, etc., it is simply a big -7(A).

Jesse,
That marketing description is related to the mission profile that the airplane meets, not the mode of entry, seat adjustment, etc.

Back