What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Max-Viz X1 (infrared cam) $300 discount for SnF

bkthomps

Well Known Member
I have been speaking with the good folks at Astronics who run Max-Viz, the same camera found on the Cirrus EVS package, which averages around $16,000 add-on for those guys

2ebbcd_2de0626ee0fa4f8d8e99050ac46788ec.png

The camera is normally selling for $6000 to us experimental guys and they are going to offer a $300 discount during SnF, all I had to do was ask!

https://youtu.be/K_ipqd4W1R8

My major question to them, which they answered nicely:

q> Why is your product $6000 when I can purchase the camera for $3000 on average from drone hobby shops, assuming I build my own enclosure solution...is that where the extra $3000 is going?

a> Our system does have a heated window. Our system is completely sealed and filled with nitrogen. The nitrogen keep all the electronics dry in any environment. The MV X1 has a 45 degree FOV. This is best for pilot safety. If you decide to go with the FLIR use the 45 degree. The wider images fish eye while flying. One consideration is power the X1 works with 12 VDS to 28 VDC which is typical aircraft power. The X1 is built like a brick out house. It’s an all-aluminum housing with a Germanium lens. Germanium is a carbon base mineral.

Altitude tested to 55,000 feet and a temp range between -55C to +70C. The X1 was also tested for EMI around transponders and radios.

http://www.max-viz.com/#!max-viz-evs-video-1/c5ca We are the supplier of EVs to Cirrus Aircraft. The link shows the Max-Viz 600 which is 320x 240 on the Garmin 1000 display. You can see the 320 works very well.

Our average Mean Time Before Failure is (MTBF) is 10,000 hours. Our products are built for the flying environment.

Last edited:
GRT offers a integrated system for their EFIS for $4500 that will overlay PFD data on the FLIR image, too. IronFlight did a good write up in a KitPlanes article around 18 months ago.

It is something I would seriously consider if Dynon were able to overlay flight data on the image, rather than simply display it alongside the flight data on a SkyView system.

I have the same desire for Garmin to do it, they will display it full screen on MFD or half screen on PFD, but no flight data overlay

The GRT camera is a lower grade sensor and provides no heated capabilities for ice

Last edited:
We actually showed off overlaid video at Oshkosh 2014, with some unique features that allowed SynVis to blend with the camera. The response was underwhelming so we didn't take it any further.

Germanium is NOT a carbon based mineral. It's an element.

Not sure what I think of a rep who makes such a statement.

Not sure what I think of a rep who makes such a statement.

Not everyone has a PToE hanging in their workplace...close enough for government and rep work. Cut him some slack, especially since you know what he was trying to convey.

Not everyone has a PToE hanging in their workplace...close enough for government and rep work. Cut him some slack, especially since you know what he was trying to convey.

Nope, can't cut 'em any slack for that. If you don't know something, then don't pull it outta your butt and stick it out there as a fact.

They are marketing this to the experimental crowd - which is going to be filled with a much higher percentage of tech-savvy individuals versus the certificated buyer crowd - and then they go tech-stupid with the customer contacts? Does not inspire confidence, no sir.

We actually showed off overlaid video at Oshkosh 2014, with some unique features that allowed SynVis to blend with the camera. The response was underwhelming so we didn't take it any further.

Maybe you should try it again with FLIR instead of SynVis? You might get a more interested response if you had a Dynon-produced box for this.

Last edited:
I'm with Bob.

Anyone who tries to tell me germanium is a carbon-based material, or hydrogen is a nitrogen-based material or whatever has tipped their hand too far. Nothing else they say will be taken seriously and I will politely walk away. Doesn't mean the product isn't good, but it tells me what I need to know about sales and marketing as a source of product data.

Anyone who tries to tell me germanium is a carbon-based material, or hydrogen is a nitrogen-based material or whatever has tipped their hand too far. Nothing else they say will be taken seriously and I will politely walk away. Doesn't mean the product isn't good, but it tells me what I need to know about sales and marketing as a source of product data.

he got one word wrong, mineral

germanium is in the carbon group of the periodic table of elements, it by definition is not a mineral because it is a single element- splitting hairs, but ok- i do not expect the first 'sales' guy i get on the phone to be a PhD in chemistry, he answered my question of why should I buy your assembly versus building my own from a FLIR camera, such as the one GRT employs, anti-icing is a big deal for me, that sealed the decision

"Because germanium is transparent in the infrared it is a very important infrared optical material, that can be readily cut and polished into lenses and windows. It is especially used as the front optic in thermal imaging cameras working in the 8 to 14 micron wavelength range for passive thermal imaging and for hot-spot detection in military, night vision system in cars, and fire fighting applications.[60] It is therefore used in infrared spectroscopes and other optical equipment which require extremely sensitive infrared detectors.[62] The material has a very high refractive index (4.0) and so needs to be anti-reflection coated. Particularly, a very hard special antireflection coating of diamond-like carbon (DLC), refractive index 2.0, is a good match and produces a diamond-hard surface that can withstand much environmental rough treatment.[65][66]"

Personally, without seeing it in person, I too would not be too excited about a FLIR/SynVis mixed image unless it was pretty special, though I think there would be greater demand for PFD data simply overlaid on the external camera.

If it is enough to justify the development costs though, I'm not sure.

Personally, without seeing it in person, I too would not be too excited about a FLIR/SynVis mixed image unless it was pretty special, though I think there would be greater demand for PFD data simply overlaid on the external camera.

If it is enough to justify the development costs though, I'm not sure.

Agreed - I was thinking EFIS overlaid on top of the FLIR, forget the SynVis.

Agreed - I was thinking EFIS overlaid on top of the FLIR, forget the SynVis.

seems like that would be a really easy implementation for the software guys, and the fact that it is mounted to the wing would preclude any confusion on what the camera is showing you versus actual, i.e, attitude wise

Back