What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nylon nut question

BGordon

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone,
I was putting my tail assembly together last night and as I tried to torque a bolt my torque wrench kept spinning and spinning. I figured I had over torqued it and when I tried to remove the nut and bolt it kept turning and nothing happened the nut would neither come off nor tighten, it just seemed to turn endlessly. I assume the nylon striped. Any ideas on how to get it out without cutting it off?
Thanks
Brandon

Maybe use a nut splitter to get it off?

Then to figure out why it stripped...way too much torque? Or did you use a bolt that was a little too long and the nut spun on past the threads (i.e., not stripped, but incorrect)?

Remember to check the units the torque value is published in vs. the torque units on your torque wrench. Only made that mistake once... On my friends car too haha

If you are using a "click" type torque wrench it may not "click" for the smaller AN3 fasteners; on mine the head just kind of tilts quietly. For the AN3 torque (20-25 in.-lbs.) I can move the head to the side with heavy thumb pressure.

Its not a tool that I remember being is talked about much here but when I was gathering my aircraft tools via e-bay in 2005 I received a pair of t-handle torque wrenches set for AN3s in one lot of tooling.

They were really really handy. No muss no fuss. Just turn until it clicks and move on. Impossible to over torque.

Here is an example, not the exact brand I have.

Wrench

Last edited:
Actually, the nylock nuts have both the formed metal threads plus the nylon locking insert crimped into the nut top. If over torqued, either the metal threads of the nut and/or bolt can/will strip. This makes it impossible to remove the nut without some additional head scratching solution.

Back