What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oid Drain back tubes

TJCF16

Well Known Member
During my annual inspection I found the rods that attach the front and rear cooling baffles chaffing on the bottom side of the cylinder head drain tube on the #4 tube. (it had worn all the way thru and oil was dripping out). The oil tube on the #1 cylinder had been chaffed thru on the top by the rod that holds the front and rear Baffles together. On the left side the tube ran over the attach rod and on the right side it ran under the tube. From what I can see the baffle attach rod should run above the tube. On my engine there is no way to run it under the baffle attach rod on left side because it sits to low. not sure how to get the baffle attach rod closer to cylinders other than redoing baffle. I may just cover it with a some type of anti chaffing material. Any suggestions?

I used short sections of some Parker hose (I forget the exact dimensions, but it's relatively thick stuff...one size for tubes, a much smaller one for the rods) on either the oil drain-back tubes or the long rod that holds the baffles, depending on what was in contact with what. Works well, after 400+ hours not even a hint of wearing.

Just split them length-wise with a razor blade and slip over the tube or rod.

Van's includes some thick wall nylon tubing to use as anti-chafe for his area. Anything that won't melt and will stay in place will work. This is not at all an uncommon problem.

I figured so, I orderd some high temp tubing to cover the baffle rod and some for the drain tube.

Back