What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Section NAS Bolt Question

slngsht

Well Known Member
I've had WAY too little sleep last 2 days, so I'm just spending a little time sizing things up, and have come across something weird.

when I try to insert NAS1307 bolts to align center sections to bulkheads, bolts are a tight fit as expected in top and bottom right side, and bottom right side. But top left side is loose. I've checked wings, and they are similarly loose on the top left.

Wings were purchased from another builder.

Am I missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFcoKL9qwEM

Last edited:
NAS

Lat weekand was spent on making NAS bolts pusher and puller tool all bolts were very tight
Yours dont look like interference fit at all

Gosh, these seem way too loose on top but even the bottom ones. Those ought to be a very tight fit as mine was. Even hardware store bolts which I used temporary to set the wing were tighter than this.

Did the previous builder ream out those holes to a larger diameter, perhaps? I'd be suspect. I would attempt to check with him if that's possible.

I would definitely check with Vans and see what they suggest. That's not right.

I sent the previous builder a note. Waiting to hear back.
On the ones that are tighter, the finish looks completely untouched.

The ones that look way too large look like they've been worked on (finish around hole is different than others).

I hope I didn't buy bookends.

He said he doesn't know either. I'll be first in line when support opens up I guess.

I don't see any reason why previous builder would even need to mess with those.

what's interesting is there is a pair of NAS2907 bolts, which are half inch, and would be a press fit in these holes... in fact, I only have six of the 7/16" bolts that I have seen. So, maybe it was sent this way. weird.

I'll find out from Vans.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what Van's says. The rims of the "loose" holes don't seem to be pristine. Are the insides of these holes gold anodized? If reamed after the factory delivery, the anodizing would have been removed.

It will be interesting to see what Van's says. The rims of the "loose" holes don't seem to be pristine. Are the insides of these holes gold anodized? If reamed after the factory delivery, the anodizing would have been removed.

Yes, they are. A light coat, but it's there. and you're right... they look "worked over" a bit.

For my build, I bought some hardware bolts of the same size, cut off the threads, and chamfered the edges. I put these in backwards and dove them out with the NAS bolts that were waxed and then frozen for a week before installation.

Using a rivet gun to install them works great!

Answer from Vans... Manufacturer is authorized to upsize the shank and holes on that assembly - as long as front center section, wing, rear center section are a matched set and matching bolts supplied, this is within spec.

That's the case here.

I only lost one night's sleep over this...

Back