What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upgrading Navi lights to LED

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Helping a friend upgrade his 7A from the old large power supply Nav lights to modern LED lights. It will be wingtip Nav and Strobe with a white light and strobe on the tail. I have looked at a couple of options, just curious what others have done.

FWIW I replaced my Whelen 90340 nav lights with the Aveo Powerburst + units. The new units are super small, draw very little current, do not use an external power supply and are much brighter than the old units. As of today I am very pleased with them.

:cool:

Can I suggest you have a look at the products we offer?!

I'm more than happy to answer your questions either here or via email.

I personally use and have installed a number of the AeroLed units (NSP with Suntail), they work great, are RF quite, great company with stellar support.

I just recently purchased a kit from Flyled's for my RV-7A. It was fun to put together, works as adverised, and the instructions are very good with lots of color photos. The lights are extremely bright and I know I'm going to enjoy using them. I have no experience whatsoever putting electronic things like this together, but the instructions were all I needed. If I can do it, anyone can.

I just recently purchased a kit from Flyled's for my RV-7A. It was fun to put together, works as adverised, and the instructions are very good with lots of color photos. The lights are extremely bright and I know I'm going to enjoy using them. I have no experience whatsoever putting electronic things like this together, but the instructions were all I needed. If I can do it, anyone can.

Same here!! Putting them together was really fun. Can't wait to actually install them in the wing tips this summer.

I am just about done installing flyleds in my RV-4. those things are bright!

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Flyleds

Yep, you'll love them. I've had mine installed for a little while now and love 'em! The cost is extremely reasonable. The flyleds are well less than half what I paid 5 years ago for the whelen strobe kit. The flyleds weight is essentially inconsequential, all together probably akin to taking a cup of coffee aboard. Another big benefit is the very VERY low current draw! There is not a peep or squeak of RFI on the radio. They are very bright too... much brighter and more noticeable than my old strobes. Oh, and LED's will probably last longer than any of us! If you're building and on the fence, my recommendation is this is a no brainer! :)

Disclaimer: Other than having them on my RV7A, I'm in no way affiliated with flyleds. I just get excited about great
products!

Last edited:
Fly leds

Hearing all of these positives makes me happy that I went with them. I haven't installed yet but looks like a very well made product. I do not think I will regret. Thanks for a great product Paul.

I installed the FlyLeds in my RV4 a few months ago during a fairly major upgrade project. My RV4 wingtips have a non-standard cutout and I purchased the lights already completed instead of soldering them together myself. I can tell you that Paul was amazingly good to work with. Even though he is on the other side of the world from me, he always got right back to me with answers to my questions. I made cardboard templates of my wingtip cut outs and Paul rebuilt my boards to fit my plane - all in a timely manner, and at NO EXTRA COST to me.

The lights are very bright, have low power consumption, and make absolutely no noise in my headset. I don't have any noise suppression capacitors in my airplane, used standard wiring for the NAV lights and shielded wire to the strobes, as shown in his installation drawings. You'll like your lights.

Flyleds and moisture resistance

Flyleds... what about durability vis-a-vis moisture resistance? Do more expensive options have an advantage this way?

Hi John.
Moisture hasn't been a problem with our kits for anyone as far as I know.
They are mounted behind the lens as primary defense, and the heat generated by the LEDs keeps the boards warmer than ambient anyway, so condensation shouldn't be an issue.
The LEDs themselves are fully sealed.
A fully potted equivalent product would be at an advantage by definition...

Thank you

And I'd just like to say Thanks! for the kind words from the advocates above. Your words (and video, Sir Paul!) really are appreciated.

Membership certificates for the Flyleds Fan Club and Appreciation Society will be posted forthwith! :)

LED for NAV/STROBE only way to go!

I replaced my Whelen A650 style navstrobes a few years back with AeroLeds Pulsar NSP and Suntail. The AeroLEDs work great and I have had no issues in maybe..500 hours. Low power, weight, and heat.

I got fed-up with the ancient Whelen stuff after replacing my 3rd or 4th $100 flash tube. LEDS for nav/strobe is the ONLY way to go IMO.

Back