What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing Whelen standard Navlights with LED?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I am looking to replace my standard whelen nav lights with LED. I currently have:
- white nav light in the tail
-strobe on top of the tail
- standard nav lights on wings

I was thinking I would keep the tail section untouched and keep the strobe.

What is everyone suggestion for nav light replacement? Brand? Just nav or nav and led strobe?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Dan

LED bulbs

You should be able to find LED bulbs that will fit the Whelen units.
Try superbrightleds.com Under $10 per bulb last time I bought them.

Thanks but my current units are cut to fit in my small wingtip lens. I am changing my tips to where there are no lenses and will have the nav light outside. I need help in determining which new unit is the best bang for the buck.

I was looking at the whelen microburst III's but would like to get some info/opinions

DMAT,
I?ve just done about the same thing on my RV4. On the wingtips, I replaced the standard Whelen POS bulbs (bayonet style) with LED bulbs from aero-lites.com. It took approximately 5 minutes to do both wingtips. I used the NAV-Max bulbs listed on their website - $45 each. They have a less expensive option, but these ones are brighter, much more robust, and guaranteed not to make noise in your headset. For the tail, I installed the FlyLeds stand alone tail position/strobe ($140). I had a Whelen strobe mounted on the top of the tail, but it didn?t work anymore because of a failed power supply, so I removed that miniature dinosaur and patched the hole in the fiberglass tip. Good luck with your upgrade. It can be a simple thing sometimes.

AeroLEDs options

Hi Dan,

Here are the options we have at AeroLEDs:

- white nav light in the tail ? SunTail 12V ? drop-in replacement, Position & Strobe built-in. NAV & Strobe exceed TSO requirements for brightness.

- standard nav lights on wings ? multiple options available: Polaris drop-in replacement bulbs or Pulsar NSP full light replacements.

All our lights have a 5-year warranty, a useful life of 30,000 hours of operation, 100% built in the USA, and available to order through Vans website.

Happy Flying!
Natalie

Back