What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlyEfii System32 Ingition Install

Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
Folks,

I've removed my dreaded dual mag from the O-360. I've ordered a dual ignition from Robert @ FlyEFII.

As I can't mount the coils where the originals mags used to be.... because I only ever had the one... I'm interested in pictures/advice of others who have installed this system. I'm curious about what other's finished install package looks like.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Coil mounting

I put one inside the firewall recess and one on the block-off plate where the mag used to be. I?m an SDS, but the theme is the same.

Email Robert. I’m sure he has install pics on the firewall to give you some ideas.

coil mount

I have a 9A with an 0-320-H2AD and Robert's System 32. My coils are mounted on the firewall right side top with enough clearance for the cowl attach hardware (I use Dzus fasteners). I also used some spacers to give the coils a little clearance for airflow between the coil body and firewall. Probably not necessary, but it doesn't hurt anything. Sorry no pics.
Went on a flyout to Borrego Valley (L08) this weekend. OAT at departure from L08 was 102 deg F. From startup to climbout to 6500' the EFII system didn't miss a beat. Easy 1000 fpm initial climb with two of us on board and nearly full fuel and stuff in the baggage area. Sam James short cowl with Van's louver kit and a 10599R-T oil cooler resulted in max oil temp of 196 and max cyl temp of 375, both of which dropped to 180 and 340 in 150 kt cruise at 71 OAT. Timing advanced to 30 deg when cruise power was set, stayed at 25 deg on initial climbout. Great EFI system.
Fun note: passed 1 of my buddies in a 172 on the flight home-ATC calling him as traffic to me---"N4603X you have 40 kts on the Cessna".:cool: This will all change when he gets his RV14 flying......;) then I'll be the one getting passed. :(

Folks,

I've removed my dreaded dual mag from the O-360. I've ordered a dual ignition from Robert @ FlyEFII.

As I can't mount the coils where the originals mags used to be.... because I only ever had the one... I'm interested in pictures/advice of others who have installed this system. I'm curious about what other's finished install package looks like.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

On my RV-6 with the dual mag I fabricated a mounting bracket that spanned two of the crossmembers on the engine mount.

On my RV-8 I mount the coil on a plate where the mag would normally mount.

I just removed the Pmags from the RV-8 and went with SDS CPI. Not sure what EFII uses for coils, but if its similar to the 4 output "brick style", that SDS uses, then my install should be relevant. I placed one coil on the backbone of the engine, just aft of the flow divider. A single piece of extruded "L" angle picked up two case bolts on one leg, and the other leg had 2 diagonal holes on the coil. Simple, light and sturdy. The other coil was nothing more than an Adel clamp on 3 of the coil mount ears, tied directly to three legs of the engine mount. So the coil "mount" was 3 Adel clamps - period.

Back