What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Mini-Flight Review

N941WR

Legacy Member
The RV-12 has been out for some time now and I finally had a chance to fly one the other night.

I must say, I was really impressed by the -12!

What a nice flying aircraft, very light on the controls, much lighter than my RV-9. I would say it is more in line with the -4 than a -7. Kind of like a -7 at low speeds because of how quickly it responded to stick and rudder input.

Very well Balanced in its control harmony. Probably better balanced than a -7 or -8. (Sorry guys!)

Off of grass with no wind and two 200+ pound (I'm not saying how much above 200 the passengers were but it was significant.) people and half tanks we used up probably 1000 feet, maybe less. (Typical soft field technique; one notch of flaps from brake release, full aft stick, as soon as the nose wheel is off the grass release back pressure but keep the nosewheel off the turf, once we broke ground I accelerated in ground effect until speed built up and then pitched for Vy. The 1000' included the flight in ground effect.)

At Vy we were still climbing at a solid 700 FPM. Stunning!

I had heard this before but didn't believe it, the visibility out of it is so much better than in my -9 or in a -6 or -7!

Landings were very easy. With our two big 'ol butts in there I used 60 knots, which was pretty fast on final and full flaps. Touched down on the mains, holding the stick aft for a full stall landing with the rollout with the stick full aft. By mid filed 1200' we were adding power to taxi to the end to take off again.

Those of you who are building, keep pulling those rivets! It is worth the effort!

Those of you who are thinking of building a -12, write that check!

I just can't get past the fact that the -12 out performs a Skyhawk so easily!

If only there was a tailwheel version. Oh Mitch, can we talk?

Last edited:
The only other RV I've flown briefly was a 7A, but FWIW (clearly not much) my impressions were that the pitch sensitivity of the 7 and 12 is about the same, the 7 is a bit quicker in roll (shorter wings?), and the 7's rudder is heavier. Both are light and responsive but overall, the 12 feels a bit more balanced to me. Of course a lot depends on what you are used to.

When I picked up my finishing kit for my -8 at the factory in 2009, I got to fly Van's RV-12 with him. My response was, "I think I could teach my mother to fly one of these in about three weeks."

I've flown airplanes that I consider "sweet", like the Champ and the SGS 1-26. The RV-12 is in that league, just a sweet little airplane that is a delight to fly. Relative to other RVs, its only deficiency is that it is kinda slow. But oftentimes, slow is good, slow is nice, slow is friendly.

After 27 years of flying my Cherokee the hardest part of flying the RV-12 for me was getting used to the fact that the RV does not slow down quickly. Having flown the 12 for 7 years now I think it might be the sweetest plane I?ve ever flown. Landings are usually bumpless squeakers, and the only thing negative I can think of is that being so light wind can push it around on approach and landing, but that?s true of any light aircraft. Vans created another winner!

As someone who's in the process of acquiring an RV-12, these comments are very encouraging. The only time I've been in an RV of any kind was a demo flight with Mitch Lock in an RV-12 in 2014. I was sold...it's only taken me 5 years to get around to owning one. I've taken instruction or demo rides in 9 other LSAs, but the -12 flips all my switches.

I've been flying 182s for the past three years. Will be glad to get that original RV grin back.

I haven't flown in 40 years, but when I was flying, it was in my Cessna 150 out of Zahn's airport on Long Island Zahn's airport and then Republic airport (just to the north) once Zahn's closed.
I loved Zahn's airport, it had everything I loved about general aviation back then.
My first encounter with Zahn's came when I was in the CAP in the 50's, we flew J3's out of Zahn's at the time. When I took flying lessons for my own license it was out of Sig Ulgritch flying school at Zahn's. When Zahn's closed, I got to buy the plane I took my flying lessons in... Cessna 150 N19406.

Now, 40 years after my last log book entry, I'm building a Vans RV-12is and I can't wait to get back in the air. Hearing how sweet the 12 is only makes me want it more, but it will be hard to top the feeling of flying old 406 out of Zahn's... hopefully it will be better.

excited to get the grin

As someone seriously considering the start of a 12iS build, I find this thread to be of great interest. Next week I travel to Oregon to visit family. I plan to take one day to visit Aurora, do the plant tour, and hopefully, experience a demo ride. Maybe then I'll understand what you folks already know.

Building a -12is in UT

Bruce, I'm about 70 miles north in Layton building a -12is. Working on the wings today. Fuselage kit came in earlier this month and is now inventoried. If you pull the trigger, I'd like to hear about it. Van's sent me a list of -12s in UT. As of Feb there are 12 with 2 flying. I'm in the Ogden EAA chapter 58.
John S
Strictly Experimental

Bruce, I'm about 70 miles north in Layton building a -12is. Working on the wings today. Fuselage kit came in earlier this month and is now inventoried. If you pull the trigger, I'd like to hear about it. Van's sent me a list of -12s in UT. As of Feb there are 12 with 2 flying. I'm in the Ogden EAA chapter 58.
John S
Strictly Experimental

John, Thanks for your response. I've sent you a PM.

IS the RV-12 IS SLSA being delivered?

After 27 years of flying my Cherokee the hardest part of flying the RV-12 for me was getting used to the fact that the RV does not slow down quickly. Having flown the 12 for 7 years now I think it might be the sweetest plane I?ve ever flown. Landings are usually bumpless squeakers, and the only thing negative I can think of is that being so light wind can push it around on approach and landing, but that?s true of any light aircraft. Vans created another winner!

I am interested in an RV-12 IS SLSA but don't want to be in the first batch of production. Does anyone know the delivery status of the RV-12 IS production airplane?

Back