What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3M Accuspray

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Hey guys,

Looking at the 3M Accuspray system to do my RV14 interior priming and paint.

My exterior painter recommended the SEM DTM epoxy primer for the interior.

Up to this point, I've been using SEM self-etching on parts and it has worked really well.

My question is: for the interior, will the 3M Accuspray PPS gun do both priming and painting (interior only, plane exterior is going for pro paint)?

What paint should I use? I want a simple battleship gray color.

Also, what size nozzle(s) should I be using for primer or paint?

Thanks for any help!

I have the acuspray and it had worked well for about 70% of my painting. I was painting the fuel tanks and it would not release paint. The air worked ok, but no paint. I'm not sure what I am going to do now, probably send it back. I ended up using my DeVilbliss to finish the tabks.

The good things are it works at most angles, but not upside down as I thought it would. It is fast to clean, you just throw the liner away. The tips and liners are cheap.

Bottom line, I would get another one if they stand behind this one. Email me if you want more info.

@rockwoodrv9 Thanks! Good info. What size nozzles did you use and if you don't mind me asking what primers and paint?

I'm using the AccuSpray system and couldn't be happier. Bought most of my stuff off of e-bay brand new. I'm using:

Stewart Systems EcoPoxy ZC Green
1.4 mm tip
Roughing up with maroon Scotchbrite and BonAmi

So far I've Purchased:
3M 16850 PPS for 184.38 free freight
A box of 3M 1.4 mm tips 22.88 free freight
A box of 3M Standard cups w/Micro Filters 58.88 free freight
A box of 3M Mini Cups w/Micro filters 74.74 free freight

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the system. I kept buying stuff because I like the system so well. Takes about 60 - 90 seconds to clean thoroughly and the tips seem to be lasting very well.

I'm a rank amateur and primer looks great. Can't tell you how it would do with paint.

Now....if I could just get somebody to deburr and rough-up the parts for me....

Fred

Same set up

I'm using the AccuSpray system and couldn't be happier. Bought most of my stuff off of e-bay brand new. I'm using:

Stewart Systems EcoPoxy ZC Green
1.4 mm tip
Roughing up with maroon Scotchbrite and BonAmi

So far I've Purchased:
3M 16850 PPS for 184.38 free freight
A box of 3M 1.4 mm tips 22.88 free freight
A box of 3M Standard cups w/Micro Filters 58.88 free freight
A box of 3M Mini Cups w/Micro filters 74.74 free freight

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the system. I kept buying stuff because I like the system so well. Takes about 60 - 90 seconds to clean thoroughly and the tips seem to be lasting very well.

I'm a rank amateur and primer looks great. Can't tell you how it would do with paint.

Now....if I could just get somebody to deburr and rough-up the parts for me....

Fred

Almost exactly the same process and equip.
DeVilbiss w/1.3
3M PPS
Sherwin Williams P60G2 primer
SW Jet Flex Solvent based

I have been using the orange ones for both primer and paint. I thinned the promer a bit to keep it light. I think they are 1.4, but can't remember right now. I will check tomorrow.

I just finished painting the interior of my 14A, like a little touch-up 10 minutes ago, and I cannot say enough about the 3M system. It worked perfectly and was incredibly easy to clean, since I used Sherwin Williams Jet Flex WR (water reducible). Just rinsed everything in the sink. I used the 1.3 head after trying the 1.2, which was the size recommended by the Sherwin Williams tech rep. Coverage seemed better with the 1.3. The paint is very forgiving for a rank beginner like me - the finish looks great. I painted it a couple of days ago and just had to touch-up a couple of light areas and sweat spots. :rolleyes:
I understand from other reports it wears well after it cures, too.

Thanks, all, for the great feedback!

I have my 3M system and am testing some SEM DTM epoxy primer (they call it "World Class" or something) as I've been using the SEM rattle cans on assembly parts and they have been turning out great.

What size compressor are you using?

CFM? Typical PSI? How about a water trap?

Thanks

Back