What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polishing stainless firewall

AFulmer

Searched the archives both here and Matronics. Can't get a hit.

Anyone polished the RV firewall? If so, could you share the process and any pros and cons.

Thanks,

i haven't but wanted to just say be very careful if you put a machine of any kind on there. I screwed up my wings somehow. and they're thicker than the firewall. firewall must only be .016"

that being said, looking back, I'd definitely polish the firewall. I just waited too long.

I was joking with my dad yesterday. I said, since we removed the Blue Mountan and sent it back, I was going to pull the engine and remove the engine mount so i could polish the firewall while I was waiting. ;)
mark

Last edited:
To make his/her RV a bit different and more custom than one without a polished firewall I guess.
Personally I like seeing the attention to detail some builders put in.

Polishing stainless steel

We were looking for a product to clean up a stainless steel sink and were told that lemon oil works very well. Must have a lot of acid in it which would worry me on an airplane as far as getting it onto other parts - especially aluminum. I would say test it on another piece first.

I polished the stainless firewall of my F1 Rocket. My web site has the pictures and story. I bought a stainless polishing kit from Caswell Plating. That stainless is hard and requires a lot of elbow grease.
Engine83.jpg

Earth Straps (changing the subject)

F1Rocket,

To completely change the subject, where did you get the earth strap that is hanging off your fire wall?

Pete

Ditto. I got it from B & C Specialty. You order the size of the lugs that you want on each end, the length, and how you want the ends "clocked".

Back