What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Analysis

petehowell

Well Known Member
Late tonight I reviewed the raw data from the flight to Fargo today.

Jersey%20APRS.jpg

I was very interested to see there were no RED or error packets. At All! I have never noticed this before, So I took the analysis a bit further.

--Nerd Alert--

I downloaded the data into excel, parsed it, and calculated all the time deltas between packets(position reports). Results were interesting.

282 total packets

51% were approx a minute apart
43% were less than a minute apart (smartbeaconing)
2% were b/t 1 and 2 min apart
3% were b/t 2 and 3 min apart
1% were b/t 3 and 4 min apart

data.JPG

The tracker I am using listens for a clear freq before transmitting, so the 51% pings approx a minute apart varied from 59sec to 1min19sec apart.

Not sure exactly what I learned from this, but I am happy with the quality of tracks the rig is sending out.

--Nerd Alert Cancelled--

Carry on......

Late tonight I reviewed the raw data from the flight to Fargo today.

I was very interested to see there were no RED or error packets. At All! I have never noticed this before,

Dear Ner....ah....Pete,

Excellent data. After watching data from my tracker for nearly two years, it seems that most of the "red errors" occur when a digi or iGate is buffering their feed to the aprs server.

There is one iGate about 125 miles south of me that drives me crazy. For some reason the operator has the station buffering about 80 seconds which will almost guarantee a collision from our local iGates, presenting me with a "red error". I sent the operator a polite email informing him of the situation but never received a reply.

Looks like the iGates in your area are playing nice. ;)

Agreed

Sam - Agreed!

The I-gates are a big part of it. I wonder if the local clubs have cleaned things up with the digis. The other thing is, this flight had very few turns - it seems tight turns drive the digis crazy around here.

Back