What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ham Radio Chat

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
I have been a ham for many many years but am quite inactive these days, using it mainly for weather spotting. I do often turn on 2 meters when I am driving around though.

Ten seconds after I turned it on this afternoon I heard a trucker talking about APRS. Brian, N5RNY, said a couple of weeks ago he was tracking this little RV-9 airplane traveling at 165 mph over the Texas panhandle on the way to Austin. He thought it was pretty neat but said he sent a QSL card and got no reply.

Come on Tanya, give the guy a break.

He said he enjoyed getting the back story on this couple and the famous cookie baking and all.

Last edited:
I've received a couple QSL cards related to APRS. One was for the airplane and one for the iGate. It's kind of cool that, even in this digital age, QSL post cards still happen!

I also received a QSL card from a ham last year. Flew over him once and he heard my APRS beacons. Thanks for reminding Larry I will fly over him one more time. I know his precise location.

Still on the To Do Pile

Come on Tanya, give the guy a break.

The card is still sitting on my desk waiting for me to give it the attention it deserves. I must have missed the section on QSL etiquette when I studied for my exam, so I needed to do some research - beginning with simply identifying what I had received.

It happened to arrive during our final planning push for Oshkosh, so I didn't have any time to figure it out. Since then, I have been sitting in said airplane for another 20 hours, sat through a formation practice in the middle-of-nowhere Illinois so 4822C could take part in the 40-ship to honor Van, and parked it in the middle of a field at KOSH. Hopefully, he won't hold the delinquency against me.

I have an Icom 706 onboard with HF/VHF capability but the only time I use it is for calling relatives via WLO or ham operators to indicate my ETA so they don't have to wait at the airport. Flightaware website also provides same information. The Icom 706/SGC-237 tuner provides excellent performance on HF.

Pepe

I am also a ham and own an RV6A. I have a I706 and would like to install it in my RV6. Would you share the installation of your HF antenna?. Thanks

Back