What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy plexiglass practice

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi,

I'm just coming on the canopy portion of my build and I'd like to get some practice on drilling, countersinking and finishing experience with plexiglass prior to starting on the actual aircraft. I'm not sure of the actual material that Van's uses and where to source some practice pieces.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Jim

Plexiglass

I used the skirting around the base of the canopy.

DO NOT use power screwdrivers while affixing to the canopy. I have a crack in mine on account of that .

Dave

Have you ruled out Sika?

I'm very happy with my results using Sika adhesive, and there's something to be said for not having to drill a single hole.

Call airplane plastics (at least I think that's their name) they are the company that makes the canopies for Vans. Ask for some samples of different tints they offer. They will mail you out 3 squares of the material that you can drill away on.

What Dave said: The canopy has extra material around the bottom edge, you can use that for practice. There will plenty that you will trim away.

Or, as was also said (and this was the method I used): No holes. Just glue it with Sikaflex.

I got some initial training from Synergy Air's Quickbuilding Course. Later on, I made up my own practice parts that included some compound curves. Details are described in my blogspot blog (see link below) but here is a photo of both. I'd probably get more practice before I worked on my aircraft... I need to work on staggering the masking and feathering in the layers.
project%2B5%2B30.JPG

The canopy and back window on the 14 have almost no extra material for practice, just a small amount to trim off with sandpaper.

for some plexi to practice on?

Ron

Go to the local glass company - one of them make plexiglass products, get some scrap from them if the trimmings are not enough. My 7 had plenty of edge material.

If you will be drilling and screwing, get a single flute countersink, that will make a nice smooth hole.

Also get a set of acrylic drill bits. They must have a 60 degree tip .

Or make your own drill if you need a different size. Practice and get comfortable with the drilling. Just relieve the pressure/force as the tip begins to exit.

Drill some a little cold with normal bits and see how scary that is.

Thanks everyone for the great responses! Martin you have a great website, enjoyed reading it!

Cheers Jim

Busy with my 7th RV build and never had a crack. Forget about all the drilling and use Sikaflex :D

Back