What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rusty Pilot Confessions

I went back and read through this thread again, and still don?t ?get it?.

Other than Don wanting to get transition training in. -12, why couldn?t he get his BFR in any other LSA? If he was willing to travel to Jetguy, he could have then traveled to any number (although small) of LSA equipped flight schools. I?m sure he would have gotten his BFR and saved him the expense of buying a second plane. Am I wrong in that assumption?

In the end, Don made the best decision for him and I hope when my time comes, I?m smart enough to do the same. I just think there was a better way to get what he needed done, before giving up. It?s frustrating and the FAA, although getting better, doesn?t always give clear guidance..

I am flying on my drivers license, cannot fly a C150.

Unless I am missing something, you still have options.

According to the FAA and AOPA, your flight review does NOT have to be in an LSA, assuming you hold a private certificate. Quote:

"Do I need to perform the flight review in a light-sport aircraft?

No. According to 14 CFR 61.56, a flight review must be performed in an aircraft for which the pilot is rated. Rated is interpreted as category and class." -AOPA
https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot

So you could go get more training and a BFR in pretty much any aircraft.

Also, if your last medical wasn’t revoked, what’s to keep you from flying under BasicMed, meaning anything under 6 seats, with just the drivers license medical?

Chris

Last edited:
I am flying on my drivers license, cannot fly a C150.

You can accomplish your Flight Review in a non LSA airplane. I had a friend who had cancer. He could not hold a Class III medical. We were able to finish his flight review in his plane regardless of his in ability to fly solo after the flight review was complete. After his flight review I would go with him so he could enjoy flying even though he didn't have a medical.

If you only want to train in LSA than I understand. I just wanted to let you know you can stay in the game just with different options.

You are absolutely correct, I was not careful with my use of words. The deception was very good for him, lots of riding around making $180 per hour watching the scenery fly by.

Don, is the "making $180 per hour" really correct? Did he provide the airplane? Many pilots seem completely unaware of what it costs to instruct in the CFI's EAB airplane. Who paid for his time to do the paperwork to get a LODA (which, as others have noted, is virtually always restricted to transition training only. No other sign offs are allowed). Did he pay for gas? Insurance? When I was doing transition training in my 10, I found that in some cases $100/hr was going straight to the insurance company, for the extra cost of a dual-instruction rider. If you want to be angry over the costs, I'd start with insurance. They made a lot more than I did.

I did not mean to indicate that the charge was excessive at all.
I am aware of the huge costs of LODA insurance.
I meant only to suggest that there is unfortunately a financial incentive to not move a student on, but to prolong the instruction..
It is what it is however and there is no solution to that. Long ago in the land of lots of instructors and planes, the CFI that took too long to license a student, tended to not get new students.

Don, is the "making $180 per hour" really correct? Did he provide the airplane? Many pilots seem completely unaware of what it costs to instruct in the CFI's EAB airplane. Who paid for his time to do the paperwork to get a LODA (which, as others have noted, is virtually always restricted to transition training only. No other sign offs are allowed). Did he pay for gas? Insurance? When I was doing transition training in my 10, I found that in some cases $100/hr was going straight to the insurance company, for the extra cost of a dual-instruction rider. If you want to be angry over the costs, I'd start with insurance. They made a lot more than I did.

Back