What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Terra TRT 250 D transponder problem

CATPart

Well Known Member
I wonder if anybody ever had such an issue...The flip flop button on my transponder is super sensitive. The unit will flip flop to the standby code just from random vibrations. Eventually, I think the quick flip flopping locks up the unit, and I am unable to enter a new standby code. I have to shut it off for quite a while to get it to work again. Although the unit is 20 years old, it has seen little use, and has been well cared for. I do have a tech lined up to look at it, but I don't want to spend a lot on this old thang. My temporary get around is to put 1200 in active and standby, which is fine until I am asked to squawk a certain code.

trt250d.gif

Terra Transponder

I had a Terra radio many, many years ago with a Terra transponder. I had a problem with it and sent it to a company called Free Flight Systems and they fixed the problem and found a couple other things and the transponder worked perfectly for the rest of the time I owned the airplane. Don't know if they still service these but you might give them a try:

http://www.freeflightsystems.com

Oly

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Well its definitely not cold in san diego, so that's not my issue. Freeflight does not do it anymore, Ellison is the correct shop, and I do plan to call them to see if this is a known problem (website says closed till 15th). I am okay flying 1200, but I don't know how ATC will respond if they ask me to change code and I say I can't, sooo I am avoiding flight following. I agree Walt, I don't want to spend much on it. The tech is 105/hr. Im sure it is just a bad or stuck button. If he can't fix it in an hour then I will probably stop there. I do have a nice GTX 327 on the shelf, but it will take some work to install. I will investigate that Sandia STX 165 unit, it looks nice, maybe it is almost a slide in replacement. Anybody want to trade for a gtx327??

Ok I did a little research. The Sandia STX165 unit will fit in my panel, but will require me to make an adapter plate, because the hole pattern for the STX165 falls within the current cutout in my panel. The STX165 has an altitude encoder included in it, I like that. The GTX327 will require that I cut my panel, mount a rack, and still require an encoder. My encoder is also an oldie that takes 10 minutes to warm up, so if I use the GTX327 I would probably upgrade the encoder also.

So...I have flown with GTX327 transponders, they are great, can't complain about them. I have never used or even seen a Sandia STX165. Can anybody comment on their experience with the Sandia vs the GTX327? The STX165 is definitely the path of least resistance for me. It will be lighter than my current setup, will be lighter than the garmin setup, and will almost cost the same in the end as the gtx+encoder.

CAT just wondering if you have updates to what you have done with your radios / transponders?

Ok I did a little research. The Sandia STX165 unit will fit in my panel, but will require me to make an adapter plate, because the hole pattern for the STX165 falls within the current cutout in my panel. The STX165 has an altitude encoder included in it, I like that. The GTX327 will require that I cut my panel, mount a rack, and still require an encoder. My encoder is also an oldie that takes 10 minutes to warm up, so if I use the GTX327 I would probably upgrade the encoder also.

So...I have flown with GTX327 transponders, they are great, can't complain about them. I have never used or even seen a Sandia STX165. Can anybody comment on their experience with the Sandia vs the GTX327? The STX165 is definitely the path of least resistance for me. It will be lighter than my current setup, will be lighter than the garmin setup, and will almost cost the same in the end as the gtx+encoder.

Back