What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon SV52 elevator autopilot servo shear screw

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
My wife and I flew from Lincon NE to home in Independence OR this Thursday. Stopped for gas at Big Piney KBPI (highly recommended, great facility and people). It was a typical westerly slog into strong crosswind 25 - 35 knots at the lowest level comfortable. Also great soaring, i.e., getting beat up badly. Almost 8 hours.

The issue was that after about two hours of the beating the elevator servo (SV52) shear screw failed. Went into expert autopilot mode and put in on heading mode. Six hours of flying the elevators in that turbulence was not fun. If the FAA saw my altitude trace, they would do a breath analysis.

So the point of all this is that Dynon has recognized they have a fatigue failure problem with the shear screw and they have an upgraded replacement. Mine will be here Monday, great service as usual.

I would suggest that you call Dynon if your servo, especially the elevator, is older and get an upgraded shear screw.

Back