What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 panel with Navworx, G5 and Aera 660

jliltd

Well Known Member
Here is what I have drawn up for my RV-3B. I have a Garmin GTR200 new in box in the hangar. At OSH I purchased a Garmin G5, two GMA28 autopilot servos, a GMC 307 autopilot panel and a Navworx ADS-600-EXP receiver (UAT). I have a GTX 337 Mode C transponder and will use the G5 for altitude encoding.

I went Navworx because I refuse to have 1090 out (Mode S, Mode ES etc) and am strictly a UAT with anonymous mode kind of guy. If I ever want "in" for my Garmin stuff I have a GDL-3D I can slap on the glareshield.

So here is a schematic cartoon I made up of how to set things up (save and except audio circuits). Comments?

RV3%20Schematic%20Navworx_1.jpg

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Hello Jim,

That looks like a great system for your RV-3B.

It is very similar to a display panel we brought to Oshkosh, except that it had 3 servos and used a GTX 345 w/GPS instead of the UAT.

We have the wiring diagram we created to build that panel. If you would like a copy, please email us.

Thanks,
Steve

I think you can run the wired display out from the ADS600-EXP to your 660 and get traffic. Alternatively, you could buy a used GDL39 and get weather and traffic in via Bluetooth.

Edit: you already have a GDL39! I'll put on my reading glasses next time.

Curious, What kind of program did you use to draw the that diagram?

Derek,

I use DesignCAD 3D. It's an old obsolete program that was available 15 years ago. It's is just an etch a sketch type of CAD program so I lay out all the lines and colors and text myself. One step above paper. Although I can laser cut a panel if I export my dataset to DXF format.

Jim

Hello Jim,

That looks like a great system for your RV-3B.

It is very similar to a display panel we brought to Oshkosh, except that it had 3 servos and used a GTX 345 w/GPS instead of the UAT.

We have the wiring diagram we created to build that panel. If you would like a copy, please email us.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks, Steve. Your diagram via email helped. However, I am now considering simplifying my current installation by removing the NavWorx (or any ADS-B out) for the time being and inserting my GDL 39 3D hardwired. In so doing I have strayed from having "Navworx" in the subject title of this thread.

I put the GTR 200 signal line in on the orange aera wire parallel with the G5 as shown to free up the blue wire for the GDL 39. See the new diagram attached hereto:

RV3%20Schematic%20GDL39.jpg

So Steve, is there any reason to have the RS232 "out" on pin 23 of the GTR 200 send data back to the Area "in"(purple wire as shown)? I don't know if it is in any way useful. I just saw the GTR had an out and the aera had an in so I "why notted" it.

And with respect to the GDL 39 3D, is "Garmin Data Transfer" the proper setting for the aera 660's serial port one (Blue/Yellow)? Further is grounding the GDL 39's White/Orange wire proper when not used?

Thanks again for the help. With the latest 2.60 software update of the aera 660 it's obvious Garmin's Team X is listening and responsive to their customers.

Jim

Thanks, Steve. Your diagram via email helped. However, I am now considering simplifying my current installation by removing the NavWorx (or any ADS-B out) for the time being and inserting my GDL 39 3D hardwired. In so doing I have strayed from having "Navworx" in the subject title of this thread.

I put the GTR 200 signal line in on the orange aera wire parallel with the G5 as shown to free up the blue wire for the GDL 39.

So Steve, is there any reason to have the RS232 "out" on pin 23 of the GTR 200 send data back to the Area "in"(purple wire as shown)? I don't know if it is in any way useful. I just saw the GTR had an out and the aera had an in so I "why notted" it.

And with respect to the GDL 39 3D, is "Garmin Data Transfer" the proper setting for the aera 660's serial port one (Blue/Yellow)? Further is grounding the GDL 39's White/Orange wire proper when not used?

Thanks again for the help. With the latest 2.60 software update of the aera 660 it's obvious Garmin's Team X is listening and responsive to their customers.

Jim

Hi Jim,

This looks great!

You are correct that "Garmin Data Transfer" is the correct serial port format to select on the aera 660 to communicate bidirectionally with the GDL 39 3D.

Bonus points for spotting that in some installations where serial port B on the GDL 39 is being used as a transmitter the unused White/Orange receive wire needs to be grounded, but it is not necessary for this installation (but it will not cause any harm to do so).

It would be best to not connect the transmit from the GTR 200 to the Purple Rx 2 wire on the aera 660 since that serial port is configured for "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out", and the GTR 200 is not transmitting Aviation Out.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

All good information.

So since you asked. What exactly is the GTR200 RS232 TX out pin 23 used for?

Steve,

In the most recent above drawing I show the orange RS232 Channel B signal wire from the Aera 660 being split and sent to the G5 and the GTR200. Could this be split once more to send to my fuel flow instrument? Or is there a limit to how many devices may be connected to via hard wire?

Jim

All good information.

So since you asked. What exactly is the GTR200 RS232 TX out pin 23 used for?

Hello Jim,

In some installations the TX is used to provide active/standby frequency and other data to an EFIS.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

In the most recent above drawing I show the orange RS232 Channel B signal wire from the Aera 660 being split and sent to the G5 and the GTR200. Could this be split once more to send to my fuel flow instrument? Or is there a limit to how many devices may be connected to via hard wire?

Jim

Hello Jim,

While RS-232 is spec'd to be a point-to-point connection between just two devices, you can often connect a transmitter to 2 or 3 receivers.

No guarantees, but you may certainly connect it to a 3rd device and see if it works.

Thanks,
Steve

Back