What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PCU-5000X

stevep

Just taken advantage of the group buy for this governor from Aero Technologies. From all accounts a solid governor and lighter than the Vans offered MT or Hartzell. Any issues that anyone can foresee? It is lighter by about 4 pounds, any problems with that?

Just taken advantage of the group buy for this governor from Aero Technologies. From all accounts a solid governor and lighter than the Vans offered MT or Hartzell. Any issues that anyone can foresee? It is lighter by about 4 pounds, any problems with that?

On the RV-6, the weight delta from a Woodward is a non-issue. The Woodward did regulate the RPM rock solid for 3,000 hours. The PCU-5000X does not hold RPM rock solid like the Woodward did. The PCU-5000X RPM will change 40 RPM while in cruise mode. (This is still happening after 37-hours of use.) I use a Dynon EMS D10 with a UMA hall effect sensor (T1A9) so my RPM measurements are accurate. The RPM change does not happen fast, it takes a few minutes to drift from the selected setting.

On a mechanical tach, one would never notice that the PCU-5000X is not rock solid.

Last edited:
Not quite...

The PCU5000s are made by a Czech company that used to manufacture for MT. The PCU units are virtual clones of what MT sells today, so there would be no weight difference in that comparison.

All the units I have experience with are rock solid, and fast-acting. Gary - you might talk to the supplier about yours being kinda drifty...

Carry on!
Mark

Back