What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine cowl

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I was at the step where Van's suggest coating the interior of the engine cowl with clear epoxy for sealing out contaminants . I had some tint left over from the fairing on the windscreen and thought a gray interior would look much better than the pink (I think the interior is pink I'm color blind). The gray (I'm sure it's gray tint because it says so on the container he he he) looks much better than I think the clear would have. I do not see any down side to adding the gray tint but there may be one.

I was at the step where Van's suggest coating the interior of the engine cowl with clear epoxy for sealing out contaminants . I had some tint left over from the fairing on the windscreen and thought a gray interior would look much better than the pink (I think the interior is pink I'm color blind). The gray (I'm sure it's gray tint because it says so on the container he he he) looks much better than I think the clear would have. I do not see any down side to adding the gray tint but there may be one.

Only that it will make it harder to spot oil or other issues.

I was at the step where Van's suggest coating the interior of the engine cowl with clear epoxy for sealing out contaminants.

I've heard the cowl is much better and very few pinholes. The taildraggers should be getting theirs before too long. Anything you can tell us that would be helpful about it? Thanks.

I just saw a new -10 cowl. Exterior surface looks much better (in regards to pinholes) than my 2010 vintage -7 cowl. Made me want to take a sanding block to it just for spite. :D

Several years ago I rebuilt the cowls on my old Cherokee 180 and applied a heavy brush coat of epoxy resin to the interior surfaces. I paintend the inside surfaces with a medium gray Imron. The cowlings were very easy to clean and oil and dirt was easy to spot despite of the gray color. I highly reccomend to seal and paint the inside of the cowlings.

I was impressed at how close the trim lines were to actual fit. I don't recall the pinholes on our 2010 vintage RV-10 cowl but I do believe my RV-14 cowl will need pin holes filled.
The cowl install is going well and I expect to finish the piano hinge riveting tonight. Just the oil door and inserts to glass in left.

Back