What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suntail wiring installation

Junk8

Hello all, Just finishing up my RV-14 tail kit and trying to match up the wiring on the Aeroled Suntail 01-1060 to the aircraft wiring. I'm sure people have solved this problem but I don't see any conversation. Aircraft has white, white/blue, white/orange and green wiring. The Suntail has red, yellow, green and black. How do they match up? I'm sure I could skull it out but I hate to reinvent the wheel. Thanks

Nav/Strobe wiring

Hello all, Just finishing up my RV-14 tail kit and trying to match up the wiring on the Aeroled Suntail 01-1060 to the aircraft wiring. I'm sure people have solved this problem but I don't see any conversation. Aircraft has white, white/blue, white/orange and green wiring. The Suntail has red, yellow, green and black. How do they match up? I'm sure I could skull it out but I hate to reinvent the wheel. Thanks

I had the same question and you will have the same colors coming off the wings too. They all meet together in the fuselage because you will only have the strobe and the nav going up to your panel switches. This is how I did it. Seems if you keep it consistent, they will all be hooked up together correctly. There's a good document, OP-55 Wing Tip Nav Strobe Lighting.pdf that Van's has that will show this in detail. Their colors on that document are a little different because what Stein provided is a little different, but if you use the colors below, I think you should be fine. If someone knows better than me, feel free to correct.

Red - Nav (Blu/Wh)
Yellow - Strobe (Red/Wh)(this is supplied as orange/white, but I used red/wh)
Green - White
Black - Grounded

I think I did as Stoney suggested. It does not really matter as long as YOU know which wires go where up front when connecting the wing lights and power/ground.

I made a small ground adapter out of a piece of O aluminum, which allowed for grounding the housing, as recommended in the instructions. Since the wiring is shielded, use a solder splice to ground the unit inside the tail as close to the light as possible.

jKoduwxl.jpg

Last edited:
Noise Filter

Also, you need the ES 00184 when you get ready to tie the tail and wings wiring for the lights together, which is a noise filter for the strobes. It's shown on that document I listed. You will also need the ES 421-0107 CONNECTOR and the ES 421-0108 CONNECTOR to connect the filter to your wires. You may as well get two of the male (0107) cause you will need one to wire the fuel pump. Those are when you do the fuselage, but if you are going to order, you may as well get them all at once.

Also, you need the ES 00184 when you get ready to tie the tail and wings wiring for the lights together, which is a noise filter for the strobes. It's shown on that document I listed. You will also need the ES 421-0107 CONNECTOR and the ES 421-0108 CONNECTOR to connect the filter to your wires. You may as well get two of the male (0107) cause you will need one to wire the fuel pump. Those are when you do the fuselage, but if you are going to order, you may as well get them all at once.

Interesting. My -7A plans do not mention those connectors. Wonder why they were added in the -14 plans...

The AeroLED instructions do not mention them and I had planned to solder everything in the fuse and shrink-wrap prior to running the rest of the wire to the fuse block.

Interesting. My -7A plans do not mention those connectors. Wonder why they were added in the -14 plans...

The AeroLED instructions do not mention them and I had planned to solder everything in the fuse and shrink-wrap prior to running the rest of the wire to the fuse block.

You can solder your wires. These connectors are for the noise filter which attaches to the strobes before that wire goes up to the panel.

Nav/Strobe wiring

Red - Nav (Blu/Wh)
Yellow - Strobe (Red/Wh)(this is supplied as orange/white, but I used red/wh)
Green - White
Black - Grounded

Another builder told me Van's wiring diagram on OP-55 is not correct, they are coming out with OP-56. AeroLED shows the Red to be the Nav, the Yellow to be the Strobe, the Green to be the one to connect to the other lights and the black ground. So, I believe the color of wire does not matter if you are wiring it yourself to the panel, so long as you have all of the Nav, Strobe and Green/White wires connected correctly. Each light gets grounded at the light. I believe you are also supposed to put the noise suppressor on the Strobe. Again, if someone knows better than me, please correct. Thanks.

Back