What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Glue From Fiberglass

GalinHdz

Well Known Member
What is the best way, except for sanding, to remove carpet glue from fiberglass without affecting the glass? MEK, Goo Gone, Adhesive remover, thinner?

:cool:

depends on the type of glue. If it is like 3m77 contact cement then mineral spirits (oil based paint thinner) does the trick. Otherwise MEK, laquer thinner etc.

epoxy glass is pretty bullet proof.

+1 - - and strong - - have you tried a "putty knife" and just scrape it off? Even if you graduate up to MEK or Acetone, it will be a small area, not a long term exposure and even if weaker, the glass carries the majority of the loads.

+1 - - and strong - - have you tried a "putty knife" and just scrape it off? Even if you graduate up to MEK or Acetone, it will be a small area, not a long term exposure and even if weaker, the glass carries the majority of the loads.

I tried the "putty knife" and the stuff is stuck on real good. Is the paint thinner/mineral spirit the least invasive of the stuff available?

I tried the "putty knife" and the stuff is stuck on real good. Is the paint thinner/mineral spirit the least invasive of the stuff available?

It depends on what type of glue it is. A search for MSDS can give you a good idea of what solvents would work. Easy enough to test it with rubbing alcohol, then mineral spirits or lighter fluid. The latter two are usually pretty effective,(depending) so if one does anything, then a small piece of paper towel under aluminum foil will soak it good. Resins are much less affected, if at all, by these solvents than acetone or MEK.

THANKS! I was also recommended Goof Off, which is also a citrus based cleaner, but I wanted other opinions before I used it.

Last edited:
FWIW: I went ahead and used the citrus based Goof Off and it worked GREAT!

Well, I learned something. D-Limonine is a key ingredient along with alcohols.

Here is what a site says about it: " With a KB value of 67, d-Limonene has solubility properties close to that of CFC’s, indicating that it is a much better solvent than a typical mineral spirit. Straight d-Limonene can be used as a wipe cleaner, in a dip bath, or in spray systems as a direct substitute for most other organic solvents.
"
At $6-10 a gal for mineral spirits, it is worth a good look as a replacement in my tanks!

Thanks for the report!
Edit: Still worth checking, but maybe not - it is $40+ a gal! and not usable in steel containers due to corrosion.

Last edited:
Back