What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7th annual Triple Tree Fly-In Sept. 4-8

Triple tree fly-in

Hi all,
Looking forward to it. Planning to come up on friday. Me and the son. First long distance fly-in in the RV...priceless. Look for the unpainted rv-8a with grey primered cowls and a big smile. Thats us. Tim

Ya'll look for the party parachute. Bring your lawn chair.

6s9b8o.jpg

As luck would have it, I will be at MCRD Parris Island for a nephews boot camp graduation on Friday. I plan on stopping at TripleTree Saturday (maybe Fri afternoon) on the way back to Ohio. I have my camping gear with me. See you all in a few weeks.

Last edited:
If my prop makes it back from Sensenich we'll be there Thursday and depart Sat. If the prop doesn't arrive we may decide to drive up.

We are going

Small group of RV's and others from 8A7 in central NC planning to go, likely arriving Friday and spending a night or two.

As luck would have it, I will be at MCRD Parris Island for a nephews boot camp graduation on Friday. I plan on stopping at TripleTree Saturday (maybe Fri afternoon) on the way back to Ohio. I have my camping gear with me. See you all in a few weeks.

WX permitting, I and the ZPH guys will be there.
Looking forward to meeting you.
My plan is to fly up Friday morning from KBKV.

WX permitting, I and the ZPH guys will be there.
Looking forward to meeting you.
My plan is to fly up Friday morning from KBKV.

I'm planning to fly up in a friend's -10 with him and my 2 boys. Heading up early Friday and probably back early Sunday morning. If there were three seats heading back to the X35 area late Saturday, I would love to hitch a ride.

Looking forward to putting more faces with names. I went to the social at OSH, but it was too crowded.

I'm planning to fly up in a friend's -10 with him and my 2 boys. Heading up early Friday and probably back early Sunday morning. If there were three seats heading back to the X35 area late Saturday, I would love to hitch a ride.

Looking forward to putting more faces with names. I went to the social at OSH, but it was too crowded.

Looks like Dan Horton has offered a location for gathering at his red & white parachute, see thread#4. I plan on attending at some point over the weekend.

Hi all,
This is my first post here but I've been lurking for a while. I've learned lots from everyone here and hopefully it will convey when we begin building our -10.

I wanted to know if anyone here is planning to attend Triple Tree this weekend? I'll be driving down since our project still sits in the spare bedroom.

Hope to meet some of you there.

Jason

Fly time!

Just got done changing a tire that was looking pretty smooth. Replaced the brake pads on that side and bleed the brakes on that side also. Planning to be wheels up at 8am should arrive Triple Tree 11am bringing my own steaks and salad for dinner. When I get back I'll have to change the other side tire and brake pads. See you guys there!

See ya

Hi all,
This is my first post here but I've been lurking for a while. I've learned lots from everyone here and hopefully it will convey when we begin building our -10.

I wanted to know if anyone here is planning to attend Triple Tree this weekend? I'll be driving down since our project still sits in the spare bedroom.

Hope to meet some of you there.

Jason

Jason, keep your eye open for my silver (top) and yellow bottom RV-10, "Rapid Transit" nose art. We should be there by 10:00 a.m. Saturday.

BTW< a big welcome to VAF.

Best,

Should be there today around noon. Couldn't get the -12 ready in time so we are driving.

Triple Tree change of plans

Last minute change means I won't make it tomorrow, Saturday.

I can still drive up Sunday and get there around noon.

Is that too late? Worth going or will all you guys be gone on the way home?

Delayed

Carol and I have been delayed by one day due to a work meeting. :(
Should be there by 9 AM tomorrow and plan to camp overnight.

Vic

Welcome to VAF!

Hi all,

Jason

Jason, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

The 10 is a nice plane, we love ours. Try to meet up with Pierre, he is one of the RV 10's biggest fans, you will get a lot of great info from him.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be looking out for you Pierre and will probably be wearing a sign that says "will work for flight"

Hope to meet more of you there.

Jason

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be looking out for you Pierre and will probably be wearing a sign that says "will work for flight"

Hope to meet more of you there.

Jason

I'll be around all day tomorrow with my two boys & our Ford straw hats. I'd love to talk about the -10. Hoping to meet up with Pierre & Vic too.

Jesse,

I was there with my son and saw you walking around with your boys. Tomorrow we will be fueling the planes in the morning so if you see some old guy with a five year-old in the fuel truck, stop us and introduce yourself.

Today was a fun day! In the morning I took my neighbor over, blasted out at 11:30, came back at 3 PM with my son and stayed until 6:30. Now it is time to give him a bath and put him to bed so we can get up at 6:30 and do it all over again.

The cool part was my son helped clean the gazzilion bugs off the plane when we got home. (Home is only 20 minutes away from SC00.) Even better is he is all excited about going back tomorrow and fueling planes for half the day.

Other things that happened were we spoke to many VAF members and other friends, which is one of the main reasons I enjoy flying as much as I do.

See you on Saturday!

See y'all Saturday!

My wife Kathryn and I are heading out of northern Virginia around 0700 and be there somewhere around 0900 give or take......hope to meet up with some RV folks!:)

We went up yesterday (Friday) and stayed a few hours. I'm not one to stop to talk about airplanes when I can actually go fly mine.

I talked to Jere Rosser, Kurt from Stockmar, Dave from Alpharetta and Barefoot Billy. We ate lunch and then blasted off.

The only pic of the day was of me walking back to the airplane.

1240618_10201644551173582_474516948_n.jpg

Triple Tree

I missed Barefoot Billy too!!?

Oh well, next year.

Anybody wants to visit here on Kiawah and I'll take you around please visit anytime.

CHS Executive is 5mins away from me!

Ya'll look for the party parachute. Bring your lawn chair.

6s9b8o.jpg

That crew was entirely TOO comfortable. :D

It was good to meet a few faces to match with the internet presences.

Day tripped.
Had to file to get started outbound from AVL Saturday. Got above the fog and then cancelled so I could get below the cloud deck that edged up near to the mountains. Greer approach is really good. They knew where everybody was going. Overheard them talking to one craft going to SC00 that admitted they did not know the SC00 approach procedure. Sheesh.

I got to wally world around 10AM and it was thick with craft like fruit flies over a rotten apple. Glad I don't have my ADS-B yet. It might have exploded. :rolleyes: I started the approach but then bailed because it got crowded with too many flying abreast. Came through again and made it in. First sod landing in the 7A. No Prob. :)

Enjoyed it. We'll camp next year.

Last edited:
Saw you there, Bill

You sat for lunch at a table right across from us and the people we sat down with started chatting. By the time I looked up to come over and speak to you, y'all had finished and were gone. Maybe next time. :)

I will try to load some photos I took a little later.

Great time there yesterday.
I got to meet some new VAF friends, especially Jessie & his boys, Max & Amy(of KitPlanes), among others.
Got to meet up with some old VAF friends, Carl, Dennis, Bill & Rebecca.
I decided to bug out earlier today to beat the FL storms.

Thank you Bill Repucci for getting me fueled up and running interfearance when I was trying to swim against the current getting out of there today.:eek:

I couldn't believe how many people attended compared to 2011.

I think the word is out that this is a great event & will become the go to event in the southeast.

Remember to bring your own steak.:D

Last edited:
Good to hear you made it home Dan. Heck, I didn't even get fuel before I left. I let them pass me up so others could get their planes fueled. When my son and I left at five we filled up at Anderson before flying the 20 miles home.

I was asked / suckered into "volunteering" help fuel the planes. Having been involved with post TT discussions in the past they figured I might be a good person so help out. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Seriously folks, we will do something different next year with regard to fuel. In the past we have tried many different approaches and have some good ideas for next year.

TT is not a SnF or OSH but with over 400 airplanes on Friday and Saturday it is getting close.

Parking became an issue this year and we hope it to carve out a few more acres next year.

After the crummy weather last year, we couldn't have asked for better this year!

While I'm not on any of the planning committees for TT, I know people who are. If any of you who attended have suggestions on any topic, please email them to me and I'll make sure they get passed along. bill (at) repucci (dot) com.

Also, they are always looking for volunteers and donations. TT is set up as a self funding organization and as nice as it is, it is run on a shoe string budget with a LOT of volunteers and no paid positions. If you would like to help out, email me at the address above and I'll make sure you hear from someone.

We (the collective TT team) hope y'all had a GREAT time! The only thing we ask is that each of you tell two friends about the best fly-in in the country!

Great time at TT !

Just back home from Triple Tree..Arrived Friday afternoon and the place never stopped filling up ! It was my first visit there, and I plan to make it an annual tradition. Met so many VAF people I only knew by name on the web, and saw some beautiful aircraft. Looking forward to hear the total aircraft count for the event...has be close to 1000. Controllers were great handling it all and the Wally World approach works well in my opinion...Cant wait for next year, and hope to see some good pictures posted.

Triple Tree Fly-In 2014

Last year I made it to Triple Tree for the first time but only for a couple hours on BBQ night. That little taste served to whet my appetite and this year I am planning to camp out at least one night.

From the looks of the schedule this year Friday night's food will feature assorted buffet tables filled with regional specialties. Saturday will be BBQ night and Thursday is grill your own steak. Un-freakin-believable! How do you top that at a fly-in?

Make your plans, it'll be here before you know it!

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/triple-tree-fly-in.php

Last year I made it to Triple Tree for the first time but only for a couple hours on BBQ night. That little taste served to whet my appetite and this year I am planning to camp out at least one night.

From the looks of the schedule this year Friday night's food will feature assorted buffet tables filled with regional specialties. Saturday will be BBQ night and Thursday is grill your own steak. Un-freakin-believable! How do you top that at a fly-in?

Make your plans, it'll be here before you know it!

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/triple-tree-fly-in.php

And I think that you will be really impressed with the expanded camping area.

Took a ride around it with Pat (owner, benefactor, host, really nice guy) a few weeks ago.

It is DEFINITELY becoming THE place (at least in the southeast) to fly in and camp and have a great time with great people.

James

I will be there again this year.
I plan on a Thursday arrival after dropping my wife off in Summerville, sc (KDYB). I volunteered to fly her up to visit an old friend for the weekend.
Just happened to be TT weekend. :rolleyes:

Me Too Dan

I will be there again this year.
I plan on a Thursday arrival after dropping my wife off in Summerville, sc (KDYB). I volunteered to fly her up to visit an old friend for the weekend.
Just happened to be TT weekend. :rolleyes:

WX permitting I'll be there Thursday as well. Camping at the Hampton Inn though :)

Bob should be there with me. I know Rebecca and Karen are planning as well, perhaps in Rebecca's shiny new RV-9A.

WX permitting I'll be there Thursday as well. Camping at the Hampton Inn though :)

Bob should be there with me. I know Rebecca and Karen are planning as well, perhaps in Rebecca's shiny new RV-9A.

That's great.
I do remember Rebecca saying she hoped to be flying in with her new 9A this year.

Back