What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stuff to eliminate from -14A Fuselage & Finish Kits

czechsix

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to order both the Fuselage and Finishing kits for my -14A and trying to make a list of what I want to leave out. I got the list of parts from Anne at Vans but not all of the plans are online so there are a few parts I have questions about:

1) Are there any wiring harnesses included in either the Fuse or Finish kits? I'm not a fan of the molex connectors and will probably just replace it all anyway.

2) Fuselage kit has a PT 1/8 CLR X 12' (12'CLEAR PLASTIC TUBE). Is this for static system plumbing? I'm using the SafeAir1 kit...

3) Fuselage kit also has PT-062X1/4X15' (HI PRES BRAKE HOSE) and PT-062X1/4X9' (HI PRES DUAL BRKE SYS). Looks like these two pieces of tubing are the same thing, just different lengths. Do these two lengths cover all the brake line from the reservoir down through the brake master cylinders and on down to the fitting that goes through the bottom of the fuselage near the gear leg?

4) Finish kit has AT0-032X1/4X12' (SOFT ALUM TUBE COIL). Is this the brake line tubing from the fitting at the bottom of the fuselage down the gear leg to the brake caliper?

5) Finish kit includes qty(2) U-1023 (NOSE GEAR AXLE SPACER). Are these the spacers that go between the nosewheel bearings and the fork? These are in BAG 3215-1 NOSE GEAR HDWR.

6) Finish kit includes qty (1) U-1009 (AXLE). What is this for? I assume it's for the nosewheel since there's only one, but I didn't think the standard kit included a true axle for the nosewheel beyond the AN6-65A bolt that goes all the way through the fork, spacers, & wheel assembly.

7) Also curious about the qty (4) U-405 (AXLE SPACER) and (1) WD-1031-PC (AXLE FLANGE). Are these part of the main gear and nosegear assemblies respectively?

I'm considering using Beringer wheels and brakes, and Beringer says new axles will be required on the mains, hence all the questions about the landing gear and brake components.

Thanks,

I am getting ready to order both the Fuselage and Finishing kits for my -14A and trying to make a list of what I want to leave out. I got the list of parts from Anne at Vans but not all of the plans are online so there are a few parts I have questions about:

1) Are there any wiring harnesses included in either the Fuse or Finish kits? I'm not a fan of the molex connectors and will probably just replace it all anyway.YES

2) Fuselage kit has a PT 1/8 CLR X 12' (12'CLEAR PLASTIC TUBE). Is this for static system plumbing? I'm using the SafeAir1 kit... I did not use mine

3) Fuselage kit also has PT-062X1/4X15' (HI PRES BRAKE HOSE) and PT-062X1/4X9' (HI PRES DUAL BRKE SYS). Looks like these two pieces of tubing are the same thing, just different lengths. Do these two lengths cover all the brake line from the reservoir down through the brake master cylinders and on down to the fitting that goes through the bottom of the fuselage near the gear leg?

4) Finish kit has AT0-032X1/4X12' (SOFT ALUM TUBE COIL). Is this the brake line tubing from the fitting at the bottom of the fuselage down the gear leg to the brake caliper? Did not use mine here either

5) Finish kit includes qty(2) U-1023 (NOSE GEAR AXLE SPACER). Are these the spacers that go between the nosewheel bearings and the fork? These are in BAG 3215-1 NOSE GEAR HDWR. Yes, I purchased Matco

6) Finish kit includes qty (1) U-1009 (AXLE). What is this for? I assume it's for the nosewheel since there's only one, but I didn't think the standard kit included a true axle for the nosewheel beyond the AN6-65A bolt that goes all the way through the fork, spacers, & wheel assembly. Yes axle

7) Also curious about the qty (4) U-405 (AXLE SPACER) and (1) WD-1031-PC (AXLE FLANGE). Are these part of the main gear and nosegear assemblies respectively? Main gear spacers , I used these. The WD-1031 is for the nose wheel , it prevents the nose wheel from castering 360 degrees. You need this part.

I'm considering using Beringer wheels and brakes, and Beringer says new axles will be required on the mains, hence all the questions about the landing gear and brake components.

Thanks,

Answers in the quote

Thanks Ron. I looked through the parts list for the fuselage and finish kits again and cannot find anything obviously labeled as a wire harness. Do you happen to know the part number of the wire harnesses in the fuselage or finish kits, and what interfaces they are for? Is it just a continuation of the nav/strobe/landing light wiring from the wings and empennage, or does it add other stuff like flaps?

Thanks,

I do not think there was any wiring in the finish and fuselage kits. They were in the tail and wings come to think of it.

Fuel Vent Lines?

Do the fuel vent lines go into the fuselage on the RV-14 the way they do on other models? I can see in pictures of the Vans demo -14 that the vent comes out the lower surface of the wing root intersection fairing next to the fuel tank.

I was going to eliminate the AT0-032X1/4X12' (SOFT ALUM TUBE COIL) from my kit order since I don't plan to use it for the brake lines, but wondered if I need it for the fuel vent lines as well?

Thanks,

Back