What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft deck flush rivets

AboveMSL

Well Known Member
2dhwgli.jpg

Vans posted numerous updates to the instructions last week. I noticed that in section 10 they added a step to dimple some holes for flush AN426AD3-3.5 rivets. I have AN470AD3-4 rivets in those holes, which, I think, revision 0 called for. Are universal head rivets in that location going to be a problem when I go to mount the horizontal stabilizer?
I can still reach the area well enough to drill those rivets out, however, I don't how I would get both the aft deck and the underlying rib flange dimpled. I'm not sure that slightly countersinking and using oops rivets would be a great idea here either. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Last edited:
good question..

per the manual, the 1/4 in bolt holes in the stab front spar and F-01410C are final drilled during construction of the parts. When I test-fit the stab the bolts went in without any apparent interference...

Explanation

An explanation from Vans for some of these revisions is important for us first time builders and should be posted with the revision please!

Please address potential questions such as:
1. Why is this revision necessary?
2. Is there problems with clearance on the 470 rivets discovered in the prototype RV-14A?
3. Is the revision necessary if this step has already been complete?
4. How to perform this revision in such a critical structural area if already built per previous plans?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Last edited:
I just mounted my stab last night and those rivets do not interfere with the horizontal stabilizer when it is mounted. It does not sit on that aft deck but is suspended from the fwd and aft bolts. There is a note from Vans in the "gotcha" section where they say that the 470 rivets are fine and don't interfere. My plans were wrong and called for the 426 rivets but had no mention to ever dimple the aft deck there so I checked here before drilling everything out to go back and dimple and found the note from Scott that you can leave the 470 rivets.

Look at page 4 and 5
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=104490&page=5

Last edited:
I called Van's tech support a couple months ago before the aft deck dimpling step was revised. The recommended countersinking the aft deck since I had already riveted down the aft deck. Looks like the revision still does not address dimpling the underlying flange of F-01410A bulkhead on page 10-10

Back