What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UL Power Engines

splitty

Well Known Member
Hey Guys Robert Helmes of UL Power North America LLC is looking for a candidate to Install a UL POWER Engine FWF kit on a RV-12. He has engine mounts developed & a Cowelling Builder already on hand. I would do this myself but my RV dreams are still in the Furture & I am way over in Australia. I am sure any State side guys that wish to pursue this Engine Installation would be Well received by Robert. I have no connection with Robert or his Company but would Love to see this Conversion developed for the "12" as thats the way I'm sure I will go if it can be done in the States first. Look forward to any Comments & Suggestions from Builders here...........
Thanks John H.

UL engine

I hope this keeps going as I am very interested in this engine. Have always thought an alternative of the rotax would come along. I put a Lycoming in a Sonerai 2 years ago, major undertaking but it flew great.

Sonerai 1977
RV-4 560 hours, finished 07
RV-12 emp. done, wings done
fus. started

I tried to work with UL Power some time ago with poor results, the manufacture was not at all interested in anything but selling an engine at retail price, they were not prepared to help there distributor and the distributor wanted me to take all the risk after I paid full price for the engine he had a guy with a less than golden reputation who was to do the firewall forward, I would still be waiting.

Hope someone can make it work it looks like a good engine.

Best regards,
Vern

The engine sure looks nice, very nice, actually. Almost like the lightweight Lycoming we had hoped for. Unfortunately, the price tag is Rotax-like and also in EURO which will make it hard for this engine (I'm thinking of the 260IS) to gain momentum in the $ market for now.
EUR 14K translates to $21k at this time and even though it has fuel injection and a seemingly good power to weight ratio, I don't think this is anywhere near to threatening a well established and proven Rotax engine, And that's coming from someone who would really love to have a more affordable alternative for an engine.

UL Power

I tried to work with UL Power some time ago with poor results, the manufacture was not at all interested in anything but selling an engine at retail price, they were not prepared to help there distributor and the distributor wanted me to take all the risk after I paid full price for the engine he had a guy with a less than golden reputation who was to do the firewall forward, I would still be waiting.

Hope someone can make it work it looks like a good engine.

Best regards,
Vern

Yes I can see where other UL power agents in the USA have been wanting in their Promotion & Backup of the UL Engine as its proveing to be a popular & Reliable Engine in Europe & UK so far. I'm sure Robert has a different approach to the Distributing & Back ups that these Engines deserve and is Keen to have them up & flying there In the USA & elsewhere. Im sure if anyone wishes to contact Roberts company they may be surprised with the enthusiam that he feels to helping Builders getting this Engine up & flying.... I know I sure would if I was closer.. Cheers.

Back