What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C right angle oil filter adapter

I didn't use it because the B & C spline driven alternator I used fit without it.

I did contemplate using the bigger alternator they sell that requires it, so I did a cursory check and felt it would fit, but I might have to fiddle with some hoses.

After installing my engine I can now see that there are several hoses from the firewall forward kit that might need to be changed out and or rerouted. They include the oil vent hose, and the oil cooler. I believe they will interfere with the hoses and clocking of the fittings in the firewall forward kit.

I believe rerouting with different sized hoses will work. The oil vent line should be easy and could be done with the materials in the kit I think. The oil line to the cooler looks more complicated. Probably need a different hose and routing.

It appears that the oil filter itself will clear the mount and the cowling.

I was looking at it from the easy to change and keep clean perspective. I was going to mount the backup alternator on the lower accessory pad below the right mag. Is there interference in that setup? I got a good look at the engine at sunnfun but couldn't talk the vans guys to pop the cowling on their rv14. I'm in a 14a.

I was going to mount the backup alternator on the lower accessory pad below the right mag. Is there interference in that setup?

I don't think you can get an alternator mounted on the rear lower pad to work on the 14A.

The nose gear structure will be in the way for the larger alternators. Maybe the SD 8 will fit. You also could have problems with running the fuel line from the firewall to the pump.

The issues I listed in my prior post exist whether you have any alternator installed on the back or not. The interference is with the oil filter. The top mounted alternator works fine with the Van's firewall setup.

Last edited:
So if I understand you the 20A alt will fit on the upper pad with no filter interference but if the 40 is selected the oil adapter is needed. The 40a is a quarter inch wider. That's why I was hoping to fit it lower oh well. Prob will work around the 20 amp design then. I just like that right angle filter adapter! But I'm not thrilled about reworking numerous things to make it work.

When I get home tomorrow I'll post the engine pics from the show. Looking back it is not the oil filter that interferes with the alt on the upper pad at all it's something else. There will need to be a spacer to move the alternator a little bit aft. That's why I was thinking of using the lower pad.

I got to look at Stoney's plane last weekend. The oil return line will definitely need to be different. I'm not 100% sure that the adapter can be put in without a a spacer. And which spacer is hard to figure. I wish I wasn't the first person to want this on a 390!

I have a Superior 400 XL and installed the B & C right angle adapter on my 14A. I put my alternator on the front. The adapter makes changing oil a breeze. I suspect that the Superior is sufficiently close to configuration as the IO 390. There is plenty of room and it does not come close to the engine mount or cowling. I did have to get some new lines made up by TS Flightlines. (By the way, Tom is real easy to work with) But for me, it worked out nicely

Back