What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second Airplane?

So many choices!!

Tim's quote is spot on!
There's not very many planes I don't like.[/QUOTE]

I think I have very useful airplanes, but sometimes think a little less $$ to operate cub would fill the bill. My Super Cub is great for the mountains, but the Highlander and Rans 7 look good.

I have toured Idaho in a friends Cessna 175 that had a tail wheel , and 0-360. The added fuel and hp were enough to make that plane good up there.
I just do not have the energy to buy one and do the mods. Bill R,, you know I would like to do this. It was easer to write a check for my 180 and fly it home.

A Bear Hawk would work,, just did not want to build another plane in my 'spare time'.

Last edited:
I'm building an RV-10 to go along with my RV-4 but frankly wish I was building something like a Bearhawk or a Patrol.

But I'd like to build a Falco someday and restore or scratch build a clip wing Monocoupe.

Right now I am building a shed behind my house to hold all the junk in the garage.

By the time I get around to it I'll probably build an LSA of some type. Not sure what yet.

Built the 7A and -10. 10 was in the early stages of phase 1 so didn't have the wheel pants.....

IMG_1674-L.jpg

Enjoy flying either of them. Linda, my wife thought she liked flying in the -7A until we started flying the -10 on cross country. Then she realized what she really liked was "going" :) The -10 spoils you on the cross country trips but there isn't much more fun than a 2 place RV unless it's a single but I haven't had that opportunity yet...

Doug
N277DL
N277CK

Last edited:
Interesting question to which I have given a lot of thought. For me would have to be a bush airplane, so that means high wings and STOL capability as well as some load-carrying capacity. I've drooled over the Highlander (and did a test flight with Steve Henry, the dead-stick guy), and flown a friend's Rans S-7S. Been thinking about a cub clone, but they are just a bit slower in cruise than I am ready for at present (I commute each summer to Yukon). So my current favorite is the Bearhawk Patrol. Cub-like performance at the lower end of the envelope, but a more modern airfoil and cleaner construction means they cruise considerably faster so you can get to the backcountry easier.

Greg

Currrent needs (Subject to change):

Rocket, Pitts S1, and the (sorta)Pacer.

That gives me the cross country missile, fun evening acro, and heavy hauler.

I'm thinking Kitfox, Rans S-20 or Just aircraft...oh and LSA, like my RV-12...of course there is that RV9 emp hanging in the office and my better half isn't worried about the LSA...

Bob

Last edited:
I just sold my RV-4 and acquired a Lancair Super ES to replace it.

I am still building my RV-7 and hope to complete it in 2014

Kitfox

I fought myself for a couple years about building a 9A or a Kitfox. The 9A won out because traveling to spend time with grandkids was more important than sightseeing. I am about 75% on my 9A, but would love a Kitfox to just putt around in. I would put the Rotex radial on it - just for the looks and sound!

I found my preferred second aircraft...1990 PZL-130T ORLIK.
Its on sale now for $785,000.00

Fisher Classic

Just got this thing going several days ago after about 18 years of setting in the corner. Removed the over sized weed eater motor and installed a Cassler VW. Have about 1 hr on it so far and I think it is out performing the 2-stroke. Fun little 2 place light plane. Has a 400lb useful load.

20131028_155302.jpg

Last edited:
If any of you RV drivers out there want a 300HP Bonanza V35B with tip tanks and a four bladed prop, let me know post haste. I need to lose that second hangar!

Don

I just bought a Bonanza in April, It's a great traveling airplane, Quite, comfortable, a great complement to my RV-4. most of my trips are long cross-country so with tip tanks I can make it from Northern Minnesota to New Mexico comfortably without stopping. What conversion do you have that has a 4 blade prop?

I just bought a Bonanza in April, It's a great traveling airplane, Quite, comfortable, a great complement to my RV-4. most of my trips are long cross-country so with tip tanks I can make it from Northern Minnesota to New Mexico comfortably without stopping. What conversion do you have that has a 4 blade prop?

It's the Colemill Starfire Conversion http://www.colemill.com/Conversions/Starfire.php

It includes primarily an IO-550 and 4 bladed Hartzell Prop.

Don

I have decided to build an -8 to compliment the family C-170.
plane_zps41f0c608.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I don't know how I will afford to have two airplanes when I'm done, and I certainly can't get rid of the 170. I've been riding around in it since I was 3 yrs. old!
I soloed in it on my 16th, and a couple years ago I soloed my son in it on his 16th. It's been a great family hauler.
C'mon POWERBALL!!!!

I have decided to build an -8 to compliment the family C-170. I don't know how I will afford to have two airplanes when I'm done, and I certainly can't get rid of the 170. I've been riding around in it since I was 3 yrs. old!
I soloed in it on my 16th, and a couple years ago I soloed my son in it on his 16th. It's been a great family hauler.
C'mon POWERBALL!!!!

No kidding Tom, not with that history. :D Keep the 170 whatever. You are very well equipped aircraft wise with that classic. It truly is a great all around performer.
I trust you will make the 2 airplanes work. Good luck!

Second plane

Currently, I have a Piper Cherokee. But, as soon as the RV-7 are airworthy, I will sold it. When the loan for the RV-7 engine and avionic will be paid, I will look for a Hatz Classic or any other open cockpit byplane of the same size...

Hatz

Decided I wanted a "low and slow" to complement the -7 with a fresh air cockpit and basic acro ability. Also needed another project that would be relatively low cost and pay as you go and wanted to learn a different set of skills that the RV. Liked the Hatz and drooled over the three parked on the line at Oshkosh this year. Fortunate enough to get a Hatz fuselage weldment donated and just picked up a partially completed set of wings from Barnstormers on Monday which will be my winter project to finish.

Will be used primarily for local fly-ins and flying with my buddies who have Cubs, L2's etc.

tweiss - how did you get that great picture! I would love one like that of my RV.

BTW I had a C-170A for a couple of years. What a nice flyer. Yes, slower than my -8 but pretty sweet none-the-less, and at the time I would have flown a cardboard box if that was all I could have afforded! Come to think of it, I am still that way.

tweiss - how did you get that great picture! I would love one like that of my RV.

Bubblehead,
A pax in the front seat of my friends Stearman took that picture on New Years day 2011.

f251jn.jpg
[/IMG]

The locals here do a "Freedom Flight" every New Years day wx permitting. I was following the biplane group around for a while when these pics were taken.

wgyv8.jpg
[/IMG]

2popla8.jpg
[/IMG]

At this point I'm just figuring out how to size and post images. Fun pics to look back on though.

15clgyg.jpg

Think I figured it out.
Have a good day
Tom

HMMMMM

Up until recently, my hangar held an RV8, RV12 and Aeronca Champ in the L16 configuration.
I loved them all but recently someone offered me too much money to pass up for the Champ, so my current planes are the 8 and the 12.
I decided to stay in the experimental world for all future planes, but I really like the RV12 and RV8 combo since I don't really go to small remote or rough fields.
The RV8 is obviously great for trips, aerobatics and just plain going fast, but the RV12 is really a great performing plane. I originally got it as a rebuild, due to an accident, and intended to sell it right away, but that was a year and a half ago. It is more fun than "you can shake a stick at" to fly! It's actually a very good short field takeoff and landing machine, but I wouldn't take it to a rough field. My buddy and I do a lot of take off and landings together. The drill is, touch and go, nose gear can not touch the ground, and we compete for the softest landings. We trade seats every other flight. It's great for Young Eagle flights and is cheap to operate on MOGAS.
In the last year or so, the -12 has gotten twice as many hours on it as the -8so that should tell you something.
I guess this is basically just another plug for VAN's!

I'm surprised to see all the mentions of the C-170. I've had mine for 31+ years' and am debating whether to sell it when the time comes for an engine for the -7. I doubt there's a more forgiving tailwheel airplane out there, and it will move 3 folks from point a to point b faster than just about any two seater.;)

Lots of Bush Planes

Complement your RV??
Lots of people owning and wishing for Bush Planes, Highlanders, Kit Foxes, C170s, C180/185s.

Back Country flying is the faster growing part of GA. A lot of folks are finding out about the fun and challenges of flying the 'back Country'

I recently saw a RV4 that had 6:00x 6" tires and wheels,,. that guy was getting around. it kind of looked like a Snow Crop Duster!!

Doug and I went to Johnson Creek for our first time in 2004. In our RV6s. It is a long flight from Texas. But once you get there, a bush plane is what you want.
My money went to buy and build an exp Super Cub. And now a C180.

Reading your choices is interesting. Keep the ideas coming.
Money is an issue.. I have never owned a house or had a wife or kids, that I know of.
All airplanes all the time, for me.

Money no object? Give me a Mustang, a Corsair, and a Bearcat F8F!! two of them!! . Oh! and a Goose, a Grumman Goose!!

Last edited:
Having always regretted selling my J3, I think the answer is to go with two airplanes to compliment my RV8. A J3 for low and slow and a TBM 850 for high and fast. Slight $$ issue though. :rolleyes:

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Aeronca 65-TC Defender

Just aquired a 1941 Aeronca 65-TC Defender to restore..going to be a while before its a "flyable" second plane !

That's easy, A stock original J3 Cub.

Having always regretted selling my J3, I think the answer is to go with two airplanes to compliment my RV8. A J3 for low and slow and a TBM 850 for high and fast. Slight $$ issue though. :rolleyes:

Good, I was starting to worry about this crowd. The three most fun airplanes I've ever flown are the Pitts S-1S, RV-3, and J-3. I've had the pleasure of owning two (Pitts and RV-3) and partnering for awhile in a J-3. Saw the S-1 get a couple other mentions. A light, stock S-1S is just a hoot to fly.

303ehoo.jpg

RV and Maule

RV: fast, cheap, fun to fly. Use for longer xcountry and just to enjoy flying.

Maule: slow, cheap (for an airplane), holds lots of stuff. Use for sightseeing and flying to remote locations for camping/fishing/etc.

Well, this is my other ride right now - just excellent fun for short trips.

image016.jpg

When I get time I want to build one of these - when gas gets real expensive (Chilton DW1A)

esz41.jpg

Or I could just return to this kind of thing

377_2_B.jpg

A Bearhawk would be great for hauling - so would a TBM or PC-12, but that's lottery winning land ...

Pete

Rv 12 and Superstol

My Dad and I built an rv 12 but its a lil tight getting it into our lil grass strip so we jest started a Superstol about 2 weeks ago. :D

second airplane

I'm in for a Stearman.......I think it would be a great low and slow Sunday afternoon flyer.

Just aircraft in SC

I am loving some of your ideas to compliment your RV.

The Just Aircraft Company airplanes look pretty good to me.

Also I have seen some lighter airplanes at some of the fly-ins I have been to lately.

Recklaw had some Rans 12s, a couple of Legal Eagles, a Kolb or two. I have no experience with any of these. Looks like fun.

I think Paul and Louise should build a couple more RVs, a 14, And a 19.
If you do build, I will gladly leave 'Shooter' out at your hanger when I use your RV19. I am looking forward to Carols and my trip to the Moon :eek::eek:

Joe Z !!! you got a real nice RV8

Is about an hour and a half up I-85 from me Jay:p
So when you come over...

My immediate choice would be something like the biplane on page 35 of the January issue of KitPlanes; in a completed state of course.

I'll bite...what are they Pete?:confused:

Bob

OK, the first is a One Design - plans built aerobatic, good for Advanced competition with a 160 or 180hp motor. Hugely strong and hugely enjoyable to fly. Designed by Dan Rihn for an IAC competition to create a standard design (hence One Design) that could be used for one-of-a-kind competitions - the concept has never really worked as each builder has done his own thing to some extent. Sometimes called a one wing Pitts, which is not too far off the truth.

The second is a Chilton DW1A, designed in the 1930s as a single seat sport aeroplane by a pair of Englishmen who had learnt their trade at the de Havilland Technical School. 4 were built before the war, all of which still exist with some flying. Plans are now available, although permission to build is required from a relative of the designers before the plans will be emailed out. Built from wood with various engines from 40 to 65hp. Modern versions typically use a 4 cylinder inverted Mikron III. Cruises around 100 to 120mph at 2 or 3 gallons per hour. Apparently very pleasant to fly. Chilton Aircraft

The glider is a Ventus 2b from Germany. 15m flapped with carbon sparred wing which cannot take tip extensions to 18m - which means the wing is a little more compliant and gives a very good ride. I flew around 50 hours in one 15 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Performance isn't quite up to the latest standards, but that means the price has dropped a little and still very good for recreational soaring and cross country flying. I don't think there is much point in a homebuilt glider (sorry, Bob) as its very difficult to get close to the performance achievable by factory built aircraft.

You did ask ... Pete

My immediate choice would be something like the biplane on page 35 of the January issue of KitPlanes; in a completed state of course.

Mel
As my digital subscription to Kitplanes indicated the Jan 14 ed is not yet available, your referrence above is a little cryptic.
Can you give a better idea as to which biplane aircraft you are referring?
John

I'm thinking about building a Pitts S1C. Not very practical but I figure if I build it really light and put in a pumped up O-235 with a FP Catto prop it will fall into the LSA category. Now that would be a fun 2nd airplane!

I have dreamed of a hangar with a RV-10 and a RV-12. Those two would suit all my flying desires for many years.

For now it's a C182 and V35 Bo.

I had both the -12 and the -10 in the same hangar. It was a very nice combo. I took many pictures from the 12 in the 340 hours I flew it. Cheap flying and a good local flyer or low & slow. Not a bad cross country machine, but when you have a -10 sitting in the hangar..... It is nice ot have the room, speed and comfort.

I owned a -3 prior to building the -12. I miss the aerobatics. :D

The Vans Aircraft models are wide and diverse in their missions, only time will tell if the mother ship can see the wisdom of building a high wing RV. .... With removable doors. E-LSA would be good. Tail Feathers On Order ;)

Last edited:
Mel
As my digital subscription to Kitplanes indicated the Jan 14 ed is not yet available, your referrence above is a little cryptic.
Can you give a better idea as to which biplane aircraft you are referring?
John

Yeah! The one that's been sitting in my south hangar for so many years.
I started out with a set of Murphy Renegade plans but departed them pretty quickly.

Here is my fist choice, rated and ready to go.
ce789a501a47d4b08e8b877adce8d9c8.jpg

My second choice
967ec9d19a3b71a7249144c4d565d2ee.jpg

My third choice would take a big winning loto ticket and a few more ratings.
2a944f482fade5bd7ac884206ea8b4c0.jpg

Back