What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring in the wing

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
I have run up against a wiring problem. I need to run the wires for the landing light through the snap bushing but the wing is closed so I no longer have access to each rib. I pulled one of the nav light wires back (outboard to inboard) with safety wire attached to pull the new wires forward, but there is no way to get the 2 wires I need through the snap bushing. I was thinking that I could run the wires through the forward lightening hole with stand-offs but am concerned about drilling a rib. Can I run the wires through with F-1204-Y just sitting in the forward lightening hole. I only have access to a couple of ribs in the inboard side
and only 2 outboard ribs. :eek:

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Donnie Mac

That is a pretty small snap bushing with only a 1/4" ID hole.

How are you attaching the wires to your safety wire? You may want to try a long (12" or more) tight spiral wrap, with some heat shrink over the leading edge where the wires meet to help slide it through. And don't forget to include a pull string too, if there's any way at all you can.

Mine does:D
242iznm.jpg
[/IMG]
(sorry, the devil made me do it)

Last edited:
I pulled one of the nav light wires back (outboard to inboard) with safety wire attached to pull the new wires forward, but there is no way to get the 2 wires I need through the snap bushing.

I ran into the same problem when I tried to add another wire to the existing runs, there was just not enough space to get the bulge where the pull string and wire end came together through the bushing. Then the pull string broke. I ended up pulling all the wires out and fished a straight, wing length piece of hinge pin through the bushings all the way to the wing light opening. I pulled the entire bundle of 6 wires at once with minimal twisting to eliminate binding. The hinge pin material was good because you could twist it a bit if the bundle tried to hang up as it passed through the bushing. Take your time and use finesse rather than force to get the bundle through the bushing.

You may be able to add a conduit in the rib lighting holes by adding standoffs and adel clamps to wing ribs. There are some examples elsewhere on VAF that I used for ideas when I added mine for the wing mounted heated pitot/AOA tube and wires.

John Salak
Rv-12 120116
N896HS

Back