What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flo-Fast Users

Tacco

Well Known Member
The Flo-Fast instructions say to keep the pump lubricated by removing the discharge hose and using a few drops of motor oil on the vanes. Ok, unless I?m not understanding, seems to me that the oil would washout immediately upon pumping any fuel. AND you?d be adding oil directly to your fuel. Is anyone one doing this?

I've been using their system for 5 years (500 hours of flying). I also wondered the same thing? Been adding a few drops of oil every 6 months or so.

I too am a Flo-Fastuser and have read and been told by the distributor to use oil to lubricant the pump once or twice a year by putting a small amount through the top of the pump. I use a little Marvel Mystery Oil through the top, turning the pump as I pour, and let what doesn’t coat the internal pump workings drip out the bottom. The little that will be with the fuel is so diluted it doesn’t hurt anything IMHO.

Reading the use instructions and hearing the instructions from those who have much more experience with these pumps gave me the heads-up this will help with the longevity of the pump. I use the pump only for the plane so it’s not active through the winter but regular use through the summer. After sitting all winter it’s good to get some lubricant in the pump when getting it moving again.

FYI I use a 7 gal Flo-Fast container (have 2) with a screen filter at the bottom of the pick-up tube. I have 2 of the standard 5 gal container and one 14 gal gas caddy and when I go to a local Mobile station to fill up with ethanol free gas I can get 34 gallons. This is in part due to my load/space limit in the back of my RAV4.
I also use a filter funnel when transferring fuel from my extra containers to the 7gal container that holds the Flo-Fast system.

Last edited:
SAE 30

I just put about 10 drops of motor oil - any weight will do and give it couple spins to lubricate the paddle blades on the pump (it's a paddle wheel pump). There's nowhere near enough oil to even be noticeable, let alone affect, your avgas. The oil only lasts about 10 jugs worth of pumping, so re-oiling that often or sooner should work well.

FYI, when I spoke to Flo-Fast tech support, they suggested oiling once per month.

I should have mentioned the Fast Flow is used on my Rotax 912ULS powered Just Highlander. It's on amphibious floats 8 months of the year. For those that may have a similar need the pump has no issue pumping up to the high wing on floats. Top of wings probably 7.5 feet plus from the ground so maybe 5.5 feet from the pump, works like a charm.

Gary

Back