What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shopping for Exhaust

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
Where is the best/lowest cost source for purchasing an exhaust system for my IO-360-A1A? This is for a 7A.

Much Thanks!

Not sure if its the cheapest but I got mine from http://www.vettermanexhaust.com/. Larry Vetterman talked to me and helped me decide just what I needed. I ordered and it was promptly shipped. I installed it with no problems. It is high quality! He supports VAF too!

'Best' and 'lowest cost' are not generally synonymous, if you want the best I would suggest you go with Vetterman.

Exhaust

I have a 4 into 1 from AWI . Check them out , not cheap but really a quality piece .

AWI 4 into 1

I have an AWI 4 into 1 exhaust for my RV-7 that I'm not using and might be interested in selling. You'd have to see if it will fit your application. PM if interested.

Matt

Question on 4 into 1 Vs 4 pipe, on performance bikes, I ran a D&D 4 into 2 into 1 for scavanging of oposing cylinders, is the 4 into 1 better for the Lycoming for scavaging also ?

Another vote for Vetterman.....

Just installed one on my RV-6 and it is perfect. All parts needed were supplied, it fit as it should, and Clint and Larry were outstanding to work with.

Question on 4 into 1 Vs 4 pipe, on performance bikes, I ran a D&D 4 into 2 into 1 for scavanging of oposing cylinders, is the 4 into 1 better for the Lycoming for scavaging also ?

Are you running your Lycoming at 7-9000 rpm?
Sorry, I really don't know the answer, just yanking your chain ;)

Are you running your Lycoming at 7-9000 rpm?
Sorry, I really don't know the answer, just yanking your chain ;)

Well, that bike was 12,500 red line! But we still have the same air and exhaust flowing at near sonic speeds in the ports and piping, optimizing tube length and diamiter to enhance intake inertia supercharging and exhaust cylinder scavaging is what I am looking for. The folks at Titan are doing this now with their intake :D

Where is the best/lowest cost source for purchasing an exhaust system for my IO-360-A1A? This is for a 7A.

Much Thanks!

Best Value is direct from Vetterman.

IF you search around, you may find something cheaper but if it is better, it will be a LOT more money and the better will only be in the mind of the seller / buyer.

...optimizing tube length and diamiter to enhance intake inertia supercharging and exhaust cylinder scavaging is what I am looking for. The folks at Titan are doing this now with their intake :D

Truth is hard to come by, and all to often, when published, somebody wants to shoot the messenger.

D&D (your bike pipe) and Titan (I think you actually mean ACE; I do) make claims. Until you see it on an independent dyno, well......

Read the CAFE reports (Exhaust EPG) for a pretty good independent account of both method and result for a 4-into-1 on a Lycoming.

Bell's Four Stroke Tuning in Theory and Practice has some decent "starting point" equations for length and diameter.

The classic early work is called The Scientific Design of Intake and Exhaust Systems, but by now there are probably freeware sim programs capable of anything you'll find there ;)

Back