What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS Skin Replacement or total HS redo?

BruceW

Well Known Member
I discovered my right horizontal stabilizer got a bullet hole mid-span about an inch from the leading edge. Super Bowl partiers from nearby neighborhoods are kind enough to shoot into the air towards the airport where there are no homes and nothing to hit. Bullet went through the roof and ricocheted off the top skin. (did not go through). On polished aluminum BTW.

Pondering the options . . . .

Replace HS skin only; includes drilling out the spars and ribs and replacing skin. Assume the rear spar will need to be fully removed to gain access for riveting. May replace ribs anyway. Keep fwd spar and tie-in to left side.
Advantages- less work, keeps rigging the same.
Disadvantages- drilling out and re-rivet with the inevitable elongated holes particularly on the spars, structural strength, difference in skin condition between sides (w/polish).

Full HS replacement; get an entire HS kit from Vans and install new.
Advantages- good riveting throughout, new skin on right side for balance polish job at finish, insurance of all new parts.
Disadvantages- more work/time/cost, another chance to screw up HS-710 and other parts, re-rigging of tail parts.

Looking for input from A&P's and veteran builders with this experience.
Thanks in advance.

just an observation, we would have lost WWII if a single bullet hole required that much repair.

There's got to be another option.....:)

Personally, I would find out exactly what it would cost to get the replacement parts and make the decision from there. While replacing the skin might be the cheapest alternative, how much is your time and effort worth when you could probably get all of the required pieces for a decent price.

You'll already be paying for shipping on the skin, adding the rest of the parts shouldn't be a whole lot more...

Not an option- cleaning out the hole and placing a patch on polished aluminum. Rejected due to cosmetic and ego reasons, not for structural reasons. Patch option reduces resale value and would just upset me every time I see it and have to explain it at a fly-in. :mad:

Price difference is about $450 vs. $750. In either case, insurance will be covering it.

Last edited by a moderator:
War Stories

Can't comment on resale value - but for "There I was....." uniqueness a bullet hole repair story sure beats run of the mill engine choice, how long, how much, how many hours, etc, dialog at fly ins.

It's not a hole, gents. Just a dent.

"Bullet went through the roof and ricocheted off the top skin. (did not go through)."

How about one of these as a patch?

Tony

HS repair

I can comment on disassemble and replacement of parts.
I was going through the SB and dorked one hole in the angle and forward spar. Vans recommendation was replace. After looking at the job for a bit it was clear the best option was completely disassemble, replace forward spar, inboard ribs and both angles. It seemed an overwhelming job but actually didn't take long at all. 40 man/hours to disassemble, prep and reassemble. The pre-punched skin will go on just like the old one. I got lots of practice drilling rivets too!:D

Just a side question - does insurance not cover this type of "hangar" damage? edit - sorry did not see earlier post stating insurance coverage.

And, don't bullets in California have names and address on them? :roll eyes:

The repairing aspect is a good question, but unless one of those dentless repair guys is really good, then it seems that skin replacement is the only option. How long would it take, two days?

Patina should be no different with one side repair. Drilling out rivets is a good skill and I would not hesitate to drill them out. Look back for RV2002's post within the SB thread for drilling them out. No reason you can not get them all done without an elongation issue. I think I would go for the single side, and if that fails, look for a kit. But this is just me.

Last edited:
Seems to me, if insurance is paying, the time spent drilling out rivets could probably be used to get a new one to almost the same stage. With the bonus of having a brand new one at the end.

I just a built a new HS and it only took a few days' worth of work, including priming.

Chris

Last edited:
Been there before

Paint shop put a hole in my HS skin, long story (Posted the story a year or so ago). Replaced the skin and put in the front spar reinforcement (didn't have any cracks). Not too hard to do, just drill out the rivets carefully.

If you have any question PM me.

Great, thanks guys for the replies.
Seems to be about 50/50 on the opinions.
See, plusses and minuses with each option. Ergo the question.

Yes, and a few local flyers suggested the bullet hole stickers to finish it out.
The band-aid looking sticker is another option I guess.

Since I didn't treat the original skins right for polishing, (I didn't decide until later) the option for new skins on both sides (full replacement) has a slight advantage.

Back