What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 engine canopy landing lights

waveflyer

It looks as though it would be quite a problem to retro fit landing lights in the wing tips, no wiring was provided in the original build.
I'm considering putting lights in the engine canopy lower section behind the prop beaming out through a flush clear cover.
Does anybody know of a kit, LED light, cover and enclosure, that I can buy?

drill some holes

Engine cowl mounted landing lights are notorious for short bulb life, many Cessnas and Piper Cherokees suffer from this.

Do you currently have navigation lights? You may be able to run the landing light wires through the same holes as the nav lights.

If you don't have nav lights, you can still run wiring through the wings. Remove the wingtips and the lower skin access panels. You'll need to make a special tool with a long extension to hold a step drill. Even though my bottom skins were not yet installed, I found I had to drill another hole for an AOA pitot tube after the ribs, spars and top skins were riveted. A special tool and some patience and presto - landing lights.

And...if you do have nav lights, you can use the existing wires to pull a new and complete set through the wing and install the wing tip lights from vans or the flashlight mod discussed on these forums :D

Wingtip lights are those from Vans adequate

Piggybacking on this thread. I have just taken nite rating and wonder now as i build my RV 7 if the wingtip lights menthioned here would be adequate?

I found the wing tip light from Vans inadequate for might operation.
if you search the site under LED landing lights you will find many options that will work.
I used tge Pro Squadron lights from Baja Design but you have the wheelen LED's also that my friend Mike Stewart Team Aerodynamic sells

jack

Last edited:
Back