What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-711C, DWG 21

wirejock

Well Known Member
Is there a reason why the F-711C Horizontal Stab Attach Bars are trimmed on the "A" model?
It seems like a good item to leave untrimmed for future tail wheel modification.

I kind of wondered that too. I would think you're removing some material where it's not needed for weight reduction. Guess you'd need to balance that against the possibility of converting it to TW later.

Weight

I kind of wondered that too. I would think you're removing some material where it's not needed for weight reduction. Guess you'd need to balance that against the possibility of converting it to TW later.

That's what I thought too but "A" models don't have as big an issue with aft CG like the TW models. Unless I'm backwards.

You're not backwards... so leaving those parts un-trimmed would actually tend to contribute to the tail heaviness of the TW model, but the extra metal is needed for the TW attachment so there's really no choice. On the trike you can trim some material for weight savings. Not perfect, but few things are.

Back