What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-706, F-707, F-708

wirejock

Well Known Member
These bulkhead halves are very flimsy and not flat. Should the flange be fluted somehow to correct?

I fluted the flanges to flatten the flimsy fragments, but finally folded. :)

Things don't stiffen up until the aft section is riveted together. Once it's all in assembly it gets pretty rigid. Monocoque construction for real!

Fluting

I fluted the flanges to flatten the flimsy fragments, but finally folded. :)

Things don't stiffen up until the aft section is riveted together. Once it's all in assembly it gets pretty rigid. Monocoque construction for real!

Folded? Been there. Flap spars.
Sounds like I'm OCD again.
Are you saying it goes together ok without being fluted perfectly?
After some head scratching, it looks like the flutes have to be "outies" to get the web flat. Skin would not fit.
Does that sound right?

Last edited:
Just get it close for now

Just get things close for now. Once you start putting the skins on the structure, you'll do the final fluting to get everything lined up and laying flat.

David

Remember not to make the flange 90 degrees to the web, but something more than that to make them match the angle of the skins (since they're a sort of "cone" in shape).

Remember not to make the flange 90 degrees to the web, but something more than that to make them match the angle of the skins (since they're a sort of "cone" in shape).

Yeah, that too... sucks to have to go back and make them "un-square" again because you got a little carried away with the prep work. Please don't ask how I know this, it's just too embarrassing to admit.

Larry, I didn't have to flute any of those bulkhead parts at all. Maybe there's enough slight variation in these parts, that yours might require it. But I didn't have to touch mine. Cleco all the skins on and see how things fit, if you haven't done that already. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Thanks

Larry, I didn't have to flute any of those bulkhead parts at all. Maybe there's enough slight variation in these parts, that yours might require it. But I didn't have to touch mine. Cleco all the skins on and see how things fit, if you haven't done that already. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Thanks Bruce.
What threw me off is they are flimsy. Plus, I had to scrub them pretty good. They had some spots that looked like corrosion trying to start. All is good.

Back