What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit parts additions/substitutions/deletions

longranger

Well Known Member
If there?s already a comprehensive thread on this, I apologize in advance; I couldn?t find one.

I?m pretty satisfied with the progress I?m making so far on my -7 empennage, and expect to have it substantially complete before wing kit would arrive if I order before the announced price increase. Also, Tony Partain has given me an awesome quote on shipping the SB wing and fuse kits together, so I?ve decided to beat Van?s price increase on both kits. I?m going tip-up taildragger.

To that end, I?ve been doing a bit of research on options and any associated kit parts additions/substitutions/deletions for those two kits. My goal is to minimize the number of small orders and their associated shipping costs, as well as minimize the number of unused parts. I asked Van?s for an e-copy of the RV-7/7A parts spreadsheet in Section 4 of the manual so I could sort it to generate lists of parts by sub-kit, but what they sent was someone?s packing list. Hopefully that?s good enough.

Here?s what I?ve come up with from memory and a relatively short search on VAF:

Wing
1. Heated Pitot: Is there anything to delete from the standard kit? Do I still need Bag 824-2, Pitot Hardware?

2. Roll servo: I'm planning on a 2-axis autopilot, but don't want to purchase (or even select) one yet, but I?ve read on VAF that the servo, or at least its bracket, is easier to install during construction rather than later. Is there a ?generic? bracket, or do I need to decide which AP I?m going to eventually go with and get a bracket for that sometime before I close the wing?

3. Aileron Trim: I?ve just about decided to go with Van?s spring bias system, probably electric (will be ordered with the fuselage kit).

4. Capacitive fuel senders ? I figure this one is handled adequately on the order form.

5. Locking fuel caps ? delete T-406 fuel caps.

6. Add flex conduit ? 40 (50?) ft for two runs per wing?

Anything else I might consider for the wings?

Fuselage
1. High clearance tailwheel fork (Bell, ATP, or Flyboys), aftermarket tailwheel, steering link, and control arm.
Here's the tailwheel-related items I could find in the packing list:
1.00 U FSTW-ASSY W/MOUNT FULL SWIVEL W.MOUNT
1.00 U TAIL WHEEL 6" 6" RUBBER TAIL WHEEL
1.00 BAG 489 TW STRNG SPG SET (2)
1.00 BAG 496 FULL SWIVEL CONVERSN

I assume I need to delete the tailwheel itself, and the steering spring set. Couldn't find the fork in the packing list - is it part of FULL SWIVEL W.MOUNT? Everything I've read says Van's "knuckle" works or can be made to work with any of the above forks?

2. Grove master cylinders ? delete Matco cyls. What about the brake reservoir?

3. Bonaco brake lines ? Delete VA-118-1 brake hoses.

4. Andair fuel valve ? delete Van?s fuel valve (Bag 487).

5. Aftermarket seat belt/shoulder harness (Hooker, etc.): Do I use Van?s seat belt hardware (Bag 699) and/or seat belt anchors (Bag 672-PC), or will they come from the harness supplier?

6. Pitch servo: same question as for roll servo, re bracket.

7. Tip-up canopy jettison handle: I think I want to delete, but couldn?t find in the list Van?s sent me, probably because they sent me a packing list for a slider?

8. Cockpit vents - Do I delete 1.00 VENT SV-COMBO X2 DUAL VENT SYSTEM and buy the NACA scoops, hoses, and better eyeball vents separately, or keep the system in the kit and just throw away the plastic eyeball vents in favor of better ones?

Anything else I might consider for the fuselage?

I'm sure I'll think of something else right after I submit this, but at least this is a place to start. Thanks in advance for your help!

WING

1. Nothing to change. Need a pitot mount...various sources. I think that bag of hardware is minimal. Probably plastic grommets. Nice to have anyways.
2. Not a big deal to install bracket after build. I went with Dynon and they have a bracket kit you can purchase in advance to install. I think Tru Track as well.
3. Good.
4. Yep.
5. Yep.
6. One roll is enough.

Consider position and landing lights. Can be done later if you want. Some people order some of the extra wide hinge material for the flaps. Another popular item is an extra length of 3/4 x3/4 x 15 feet ? (same as longerons). If you screw up on the fuselage, this is better to have shipped in the wing crate. This is $$ to ship alone later if you need it. Depending on build speed, a quart of ProSeal.

Fuselage

1. I would talk to tech support at Van's to identify deletions. I went with the Bell Fork and an aftermarket TW. I use all other Van's parts.
2. I deleted both. Went with a Grove Master reservoir. Requires a little mod to install.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. I think you will use this bag. Also, crotch strap kit if you plan 5-point.
6. Same as Wing #2.
7. Some people like to install this to remove the T/U canopy for maintenance. You can bury it inside the sub-panel.
8. Get vents from Stein. The Van's vent kit includes scat tube and NACA scoops. I would keep that kit on order. Maybe they will just take the plastic vents out.

Maybe add materials for false front floors if you deccide to go that route.

Good luck.

Thans for the input Sean; sounds like I'm at least on the right track.

The false floor thing had totally escaped me; I guess I had always thought they were part of the kit. I plan on quite a bit of x-country, and that sounds like a good comfort upgrade. Roughly, what are the dimensions of the floor areas?

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...

Whats the scoop on replacing the master cylinders? How are the Grove ones better?

Back