What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello! New builder looking for tool recommendations

tal454

Hey everyone,

Just starting out with a 7A build. Looking for everyones preference on tool kits, figure this is the best spot to ask!

I should be getting my parts within the week. Can't wait to get things going.

-Tim

Tools

Hey everyone,

Just starting out with a 7A build. Looking for everyones preference on tool kits, figure this is the best spot to ask!

-Tim

Welcome Tim.
Good choice.:D
Tools...Cleveland.
Their tools and customer support are excellent. If you buy more clekos, insist on Wedgelock.

Welcome!

I am new here too. Joined about 2 mos. ago. I am building an -8. Lots of good people and great info here.
Blessings,
Scott

Many good tool companies,

I got the Avery RV full set, and I have added a pneumatic squeezer and several yokes. I highly recommend Avery, quality tools great service. Add them to your short list.

Welcome!!

Hey everyone,

-Tim

Hurray! Another RV in California! I'm a bit far out in Half Moon Bay, but I'm happy to help out if I can. My -7 is halfway through the fuselage - wings and tail are done.

Welcome to the group - you will find much wisdom here; use it early and often.

Which is your "home" airport?

-Bill

Hurray! Another RV in California! I'm a bit far out in Half Moon Bay, but I'm happy to help out if I can. My -7 is halfway through the fuselage - wings and tail are done.

Welcome to the group - you will find much wisdom here; use it early and often.

Which is your "home" airport?

-Bill

SAC. Thats where I just got a hangar anyways. I love flying to HAF! Awesome airport, especially this time of year!

Would you guys recommend going with the Dimpler from Isham? Or are the ones in the kits sufficient?

-Tim

I agree with BillL about Avery Tools. Check out their Bare Bone RV Tool Kit 3X. I would add a small tungsten bucking bar, though.

I would add a small tungsten bucking bar, though.

+1 for that, I got my tungsten bar near the end of my build, but after using it a couple of times wished I had it right from the very beginning.;)

Some tools arent tools at all but essential

Welcome to the most humbling of experiences, unpacking and keeping track of ALL those parts.

I would hunt for deals on any of those organizers you can find, I found about five that have handles on them and locking lids with organizer bins inside. These I put seperate items. One locking organizer for instance holds nothing but AN470 rivets of all lengths. Another has cotter pins, locknuts, and the associated #8 screws. Believe me it helps and cuts down on the inevitable hunt for parts as this thing will take YEARS and you will forget where you put them.

I bought the AVERY kit to start and love it. I bought a pneumatic rivet gun and it is nice, especially on the wing in places along the trailing edge of the wing for dimpling.

I bought many tools off ebay too.... although ebay is pretty much a store now not an auction.

Good luck, have fun, and in my opinion tool almost always go fast when on sale so you will likely never be stuck with them should you decide to quit the project as I have tried to a thousand times!:):):):)

Inventory

Tim
Pop me an e-mail. I have a builder log spreadsheet. Multiple tabs/sheets. Two tabs for each section, "empennage, wings, tanks, etc." One of the two is financial, the other is time. All tabs total back to a master tab. One tab is the entire 7a inventory in Vans shipping sheet format up to the fuse. That's my current. Very handy. Just use the sheet to inventory your kit and add the shop location to each item. It's saved me so many times locating parts and materials. Even today. I botched a part and needed the Vans part number to order the exact material to fabricate new parts.

Plus one on the tungsten bar. I bought 2 and they're worth their weight in gold. I got the isham kit and would reccomend it to any builder. Get some extra clecos though, you'll need them.

And just out of curiosity, What makes these better?

For any given size, tungsten is much heavier than steel. They are also machined on all surfaces so can be used on all faces. I got the 5/8"x1"x4" with one angled end. I got it from Avery and it is without doubt one of the best purchases I have made as far as tools goes.:)

Tool suggestion

Hi I bought most of my tools off Cleaveland. When I set out I was really unsure of what I needed. I ended up calling Cleaveland and they were really helpful over the phone. I ordered over the internet and even so they came back to me with suggestions because they remembered what we discussed ... and because I doubled up a couple of items. That was awesome customer service. Cleaveland Tools highly recommended.

I cannot recommend others as Cleaveland was first choice for me - and it worked out well.

Also go a tugsten bucking bar - well worth it. I do not use my other one.

Last edited:
Rivet squeezer

You will get all kinds of comments on this, but I have found a pneumatic rivet squeezer to be invaluable- not only for all types of rivets, but for dimpling as well. Nothing is perfect and it is possible to trigger it with a finger in it (hard to believe, right?), but no broken bones...

I am very impressed with the rivet setting if you take a minute to set it up properly.

Back