What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540-D4A5 narrow deck tach drive shaft

bryanflood

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I have an IO-540-D4A5 narrow deck engine that has the old style two piece cam shaft. I was considering leaving out the tach drive shaft because I don't need it and am not planning to hook up a tach sender to it. Unfortunately I have read on these forums that if I leave out the tach drive shaft that the old two piece style cams then tend to leak some oil. I need some advice from the experts on exactly what this means. Does it mean:

A. If I leave out the tach drive shaft that something needs to be made to seal the open hole. This is because the oil typically held back by the contact between the shaft seal and the tach drive shaft.

or does it mean:

B. That if I leave out the tach drive shaft that for some reason a bunch of oil is blown out of the engine through the breather? Perhaps because somehow the Tach drive shaft works together with the oil slinger or something?

All things equal I would prefer to leave out the tach shaft if I can get away with it.

Thanks,

Bryan

tach shaft

Definitely scenario A will happen. Whomever builds your engine have them install the tach shaft. Save the headache

Back