What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High CHT and EGT on Cylinder # - Assistance Req'd

ethand

Well Known Member
I need some assistance from the VAF braintrust regarding an issue on my IO540 powered RV-10

I just finished my phase one and wanted to take my son flying. After completing the 40 hours I landed, turned the airplane around and did my first hot start in the plane. First thing I noticed was low fuel pressure and assumed it was due to vaporization. Running the fuel pump on the ground seemed to fix that. A few of the cylinders got hot during taxi, 420 CHT or so but nothing too high. They came back down with a fast taxi.

Once airborne I noticed both CHT and EGT on cylinder #2 stayed way high. EGT was in the 140-14200 range, a good 200 degrees above any other cylinder. The CHT was in the 405-410 range, again well above others. It leveled there and did not move a lot and di not continue to climb. I cut the flight short. In the pattern and at taxi back (low power settings) the temperatures were back in line with others.

Yesterday I figured I would take a trip or two around the pattern and see what the temps did. All normal on taxi out and run up. As soon as I applied full power #2 spiked again and again leveled around 1400 degrees EGT. I finished the lap in the pattern and shut it down. A few hours later all temps in all cylinders measured the same at ambient.

I assume it is not a sensor as both EGT and CHT's were high for that cylinder.

Did I damage a plug, burn a valve or?

Your thoughts are much appreciated

Thanks
E

Go LOP and see if #2 peaks at a significantly higher fuel flow than the other cylinders. If so, that cylinder is getting less flow than normal - perhaps a clogged injector.

If you never took data doing a GAMI spread, now is a good time.

Carl

Go LOP and see if #2 peaks at a significantly higher fuel flow than the other cylinders. If so, that cylinder is getting less flow than normal - perhaps a clogged injector.

If you never took data doing a GAMI spread, now is a good time.

Carl

It may also be a blockage at the flow divider. I had this happen during break-in of my IO-540. If you have Airflow Performance injection the manual covers checking the flow as well as cleaning the flow divider.

The more I am reading the more I am thinking fuel flow. I do have the AP FL-150 so I will look at that troubleshooting.

E

Closing the Loop

Reporting back the issue has been resolved.

I did the fuel flow testing and found two different cylinders (including the #2 cylinder with the issue) to not have a steady stream but rather a steady drip. From a flow perspective it was very similar to the other injectors over 5 min but obviously not a stream. Removed the nozzles and indeed found debris in both. Cleaned up, put back together and all back to normal.

Thanks for the input

E

Debris in two seems like too much of a coincidence. I?d pull the spider ,and the screen on the fuel injection control unit, check for debris.

Back