What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stall warning horn

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
Shouldn't I hear my stall horn if I have the master on, and I hold the switch on the leading edge of my left wing in the up position ?.

I have about 30 hrs on the airplane, and recently the stall horn sounded for the first time during landing flare, I had not heard it before. Next flight, no sound.
Any ideas ??.

I did not build the plane.

Tom O.

Silly question. When you tested the switch did you have headset on? Remember, there is no loudspeaker.

Shouldn't I hear my stall horn if I have the master on, and I hold the switch on the leading edge of my left wing in the up position ?.
Yes if your Avionics switch is on and headset on.

I have about 30 hrs on the airplane, and recently the stall horn sounded for the first time during landing flare, I had not heard it before. Next flight, no sound.
Any ideas ??.
Have you ever practiced stalls in the plane when you received transition training?;)

stalls during transition training did not produce audible tone. I had my headset on.

That kinda tells me either the wiring circuit is open, or more likely the vane on the switch is angled slightly wrong and needs adjusting. You will know which it is when you test the switch with the master and avionics switches on, and the headset where you can hear it.

Does the red STALL warning light on the SV panel light up when the vane is activated? If so, the basic wiring is likely OK. You can also adjust the volume of the stall warning by turning the pot on Van's audio mixer box located in the avionics compartment. Get a copy of Van's RV-12 plans/instructions and follow the stall warning set-up procedure. The stall warning will occasionally sound during your landing flare if your touchdown speed is low.

Any ideas ??.

Tom O.

On my RV-12 I turn on the MASTER and AVIONICS switches to test the stall warning horn: the radio (intercom) has to be on and it's controlled by the avionics switch. I can hear the horn without putting on the headset, even over the jackhammer (fuel pump)....

Any ideas ??.

Tom O.

If you have a plane with the newer Garmin GTR-200, the radio must also be on to hear the stall warning as well, as the intercom on that model is in the radio itself.

I actually turn my radio on/off after/before the avionics sw to avoid spike issues (I know - but old habits die hard)

Another way to test

I tested the volume of my Stall Warning today but I did it without the wings being attached.

Pin 2 in the Left side Floating connector is the hot side of the stall switch (the second pin on the bottom row). I just used a short piece of wire to ground the pin to the fuselage.

So if you want to verify that all the wiring in the fuselage is working properly, just pull off the left wing :)

Any ideas ??.

Tom O.

If the stall warning is properly adjusted..... then a perfect landing is when you hear the stall horn during the flair.

Not if the gear is 5ft off the runway!
Most stall horns are set just above the stall. My Piper Warrior was set at the factory at 5 mph above stall.

To clarify, hearing the stall warning as the mains touch down is considered a perfect landing speed.

Most stall horns are set just above the stall. My Piper Warrior was set at the factory at 5 mph above stall.

To clarify, hearing the stall warning as the mains touch down is considered a perfect landing speed.

It is so satisfying to hear this stall warning just as your wheels are about to flare on the runway! My experience is that it's easier to do so with full flaps, any comment on that?

I've never liked full stall landings. If hit by an unexpected gust near touchdown I like to still be flying so I have more control. I've always thought the full stall idea comes from the days of taildraggers and three point landings. Always preferred wheel landings for the same reason.

Back