What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why I don't have my N-number on my fuel caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

N941WR

Legacy Member
This is why I didn't have my N-number engraved in my fuel caps.

As part of your preflight, look left and right to check your fuel caps.

Remember, this was done by "professionals".

Warning, it is a VERY poorly written article.

Falling fuel caps

Flying higher sooner will still have fuel caps falling, they will just be attached to bigger things.

The C172 I trained in had a short chain on the bottom of the fuel cap, the other end anchored somewhere in the tank, just to prevent damaging the ramp 6 feet below I presume.:D

Had it before

As a former 727 flight engineer, it became part of my after fueling look about to open the fuel panel and check the caps.
Wear and tear erodes the locking tabs and it was not uncommon to find a loose or crooked cap. This one just happened to land in an unfortunate place.
Just part of the joy of living under a frequent flight path.
DL

Having flown commercial jets in and out of Orange County Airport for many years, I can tell you that there IS NO MORE higher and sooner! That airport already requires ridiculous noise abatement procedures that already stretch most airplanes limitations! ...and if an airline sets off one of the many noise sensors on the departure path there, the airline will get fined! ...and usually pretty heavily at that!!

The procedure back when I was actively flying these OC trips was to run up full takeoff power on the end of the runway, then brake release. After this "catapult" style takeoff roll, the pilot then has to fairly aggressively rotate the nose (BUT DON'T SCRAPE THE TAIL!!!), and climb out at a very steep angle with V2 speed only to 800'! At that point the power gets reduced to a substantially less setting than normal climb power, and then you "tip toe" out past the shoreline before resuming a normal climb profile. All the while, when the power comes back that far, you have to again fairly aggressively pitch the nose over so you don't stall!! At the same time all this is going on, you also have to very precisely fly the lateral profile on the way out so as not to set off the noise monitors!!

That place can kiss my @$$!!:mad:

Ironically, one of the biggest opponents in the past to the noise from aircraft there, has a way bigger than life statue of him right there in the terminal... Mr. John Wayne himself!! :D

Using the same logic, one shouldn't put the N-number on their airplane either, since airplanes seem to fall out the sky now and again too.

I have my N number on my fuel caps, and I'd do it again. I'd have more concern about in-flight consequences to losing a fuel cap than anything else.

Having flown commercial jets in and out of Orange County Airport for many years, I can tell you that there IS NO MORE higher and sooner! That airport already requires ridiculous noise abatement procedures that already stretch most airplanes limitations! ...and if an airline sets off one of the many noise sensors on the departure path there, the airline will get fined! ...and usually pretty heavily at that!!

The procedure back when I was actively flying these OC trips was to run up full takeoff power on the end of the runway, then brake release. After this "catapult" style takeoff roll, the pilot then has to fairly aggressively rotate the nose (BUT DON'T SCRAPE THE TAIL!!!), and climb out at a very steep angle with V2 speed only to 800'! At that point the power gets reduced to a substantially less setting than normal climb power, and then you "tip toe" out past the shoreline before resuming a normal climb profile. All the while, when the power comes back that far, you have to again fairly aggressively pitch the nose over so you don't stall!! At the same time all this is going on, you also have to very precisely fly the lateral profile on the way out so as not to set off the noise monitors!!

That place can kiss my @$$!!:mad:

Ironically, one of the biggest opponents in the past to the noise from aircraft there, has a way bigger than life statue of him right there in the terminal... Mr. John Wayne himself!! :D

Not one of your points is even close to needing debate. KSNA has always had the most performance testing departures, highest noise restrictions, and loudest complainers around the airport.
The part shown in the video appears to be the overwing refueling cap? Not a part that gets used very often!
You are also correct that the "Duke" was the most vociferous complainers about airport noise. IIRC, he had his boat moored just off the end of the runway, and would be apoplectic about aircraft noise.

Last edited:
It is interesting that both John Wayne and Westchester Co (white Planes NY) are always a study in contradiction. They want the air carrier service and a place to land their jets close to home , but do not want the noise, traffic or anything else to do with a airport near their homes. I flew in and out of both for years and it has never changed. When the the MD80 first came out one lunched an engine on climb out at John Wayne, and sent hot parts onto the roof tops (cedar shakes) and started small fires. They threatened to shut down the airport then , but that would mean driving to LAX to fly out, so that idea went away.

Those poor people . . . oh the humanity

NOT. Just looked on Zillow at a nice backwater 920 ft2 house for $3.8M. And get this - -property taxes are $3000/yr. About 3% of my tax rate in Illinois.

That is so horrible, probably have terrible weather too. Something devastating, like fog.

Closing the thread. Entertaining and informative, but no longer related to RVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back