What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron hinge bracket flush rivets inboard or outboard

Draker

Well Known Member
Starting yet another thread on this topic. Looks like I'm at another "fun" part. Is there as of 2018 any prevailing view on which side of W-414 (the outboard aileron bracket) should be countersunk for flush rivets? I've searched here and have read a wide range of opinions:

1. Stick to the plans (flush head on outboard side)
2. The plans are wrong. Flush head should be on inboard side due to clearance issues
3. Van's told me the flush heads should be outboard
4. Van's told me the flush heads should be inboard
5. Countersink both sides for double flush rivets

I typically default to sticking to the plans, but since there has been lots of discussion on this topic, yet no clear consensus, I thought I'd seek out current VAF wisdom here.

r9oi9y.jpg

RV-8 Left Wing Build (last year)

For my RV-8 left wing build last year, I followed the plans and have Flush on the Outboard side per the plans image you posted.

25-years ago on my RV-6 slow build (flying over 20-years) the brackets came pre-built and appear to be double countersunk. I cannot see any rivet head on the flying airplane without doing some disassembly but I know there are rivets in that location.

I just walked the 18 steps from my house to my hangar to check both the flying RV-6 (it flew today with over 3,300 hours on the Hobbs) and the RV-8 left wing.

Aileron Hinge Bracket

On my 7, the one shown with the note works best if flush on the inboard side. Mine ended up double flush because I installed it per plan then later had to drill it and replace it flush on the inside. Actually works pretty good that way as it completely eliminates any interference issue.

huh?

On my 9, which is nearly identical, the W414 brackets are not flush rivets (AN470), but the ones near the bearing are (AN426). I tend to put the manufactured head so it is easy to drill out.

Back