What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B QB Fuselage

Can we get some more details? Who builds them? Whats included and most importantly HOW MUCH!!!!!

QB price is $5480 plus the kit, we will wait for repsonse before spilling all the beans. I will put it this way, MANY a RV fuselage have been built, the highest of quality. :)

Last edited:
quick build 3B

Correct me if I am wrong but dont the wings on the 3 and or 3B have to be built before the fuselage. If I remember right because you have to have the distance between the rear and main wing spar and use that measurement for the fuselage. So if someone was building quick build fuselages they would have to have the wing for that fuselage first...... Just asking :)

Correct me if I am wrong but dont the wings on the 3 and or 3B have to be built before the fuselage. If I remember right because you have to have the distance between the rear and main wing spar and use that measurement for the fuselage. So if someone was building quick build fuselages they would have to have the wing for that fuselage first...... Just asking :)

That's correct Bart - you need to have the front-to-rear spar distance nailed down in order to build the fuselage accurately so that they fit together. I guess I can think of a couple of ways you could fudge it - like not riveting the rear spar carry through in place and leaving provisions to shim it until the wings were in place. And I am not sure how much variation can be introduced in wing building (although I know that no two sets of QB wings are EXACTLY alike). So you'd want to proceed with caution.

You also need the center section matched to the wings - but I think that the spars and center section pieces may now be interchangeable, just like the pre-punched kits.

I really do think that more folks would build -3's if they didn't have to build the canoe - which is a little sad, because it isn't THAT hard (at least for a repeat offender).

Paul

Well...

Yes... that would be correct. This shop has built MANY a fuse for MANY RV aircraft.

BTW... I'm not the fab shop on this project. If this works for folks, great, if not... well so be it. :D

YES: QB wings need to be purchased or wing kit purchased and you build them. Yes, a fuse kit will need to be purchased from Van's. You still have A LOT of work to do, tail and all.

Last edited:
This option looks good. Let's compare......

RV 8 quick build full kit............$32,815.00
RV 3 quick build full kit............$25,090.00

The QB will cost a first time builder less than $10 per hour and an excellent chance to finish the project. Plus now even a pre punch second offender can build a three.

At $15,000 for a complete kit, (less motor, panel, paint, prop.) the THREE is a real bargain!! And this option makes it even better. Unless we get tripped up in the details when they are posted here.

I guess I missed the negatives.

Last edited:
It amazes me just how much Negative Motivation comes from this Forum! :confused:

I think it is a great idea to offer a QB3B Fuselage, but Bartman and Paul where just stating some facts that people should know. I think you will get a more realistic answer on how many people want it if they know how much, or little, the work saves them.
I sold my QB 3B at the fuselage stage. I might have kept it had I known this option was available. I think the price is ok. Not great, but realistic. I probably would have jumped on it.
I am sure the logistics of the mating parts can be worked through, but these are important to consider.
I am a little confused as to why the "shop" does not want to expose themselves though. Are you brokering these deals? I don't have a problem with that, but full disclosure is usually best in any business.
Regardless, I hope you(they, whoever) can put it together and make a go of it.

Jon,

No Broker deal... I'm pretty busy doing what I do best. They will build one for me. :) Time is not as wide open as it was a few years ago for me, and to be totally honest, you would be Very hard pressed to meet or beat the craftsmanship. This is no secret. Many already know of the quality here. :) No problem with full disclosure, just do not want to burden them with tire kickers... looking for real buyer/prospects.

Last edited:
....but I think that the spars and center section pieces may now be interchangeable, just like the pre-punched kits....

According to Van's, that is correct, they are.

I asked them when I got my kits in April '12 because the serial numbers on the bulkhead and the spars weren't the same (!). They assured me that it would all fit together properly.

If that's correct - I am still on the empennage - then no worries there.

Dave

RV3B Fuselage

Question? If I already have the fuselage kit, how far can I proceed with building before I need to get the wings. Working on the tail at this time.

Chris

Question? If I already have the fuselage kit, how far can I proceed with building before I need to get the wings. Working on the tail at this time.

Chris

You need to know the exact distance between your wings front and rear spars in order to properly place the aft spar carry-through in the fuselage. You need to place that carry-through in order to fix the seat-back bulkhead in place - which you do fairly early in laying the fuselage frame into the jig. Now as I mentioned above, you could probably build in some sort of adjustment (via shims) for that carry-through....but it would take some thinking.

Paul

You need to know the exact distance between your wings front and rear spars in order to properly place the aft spar carry-through in the fuselage. You need to place that carry-through in order to fix the seat-back bulkhead in place - which you do fairly early in laying the fuselage frame into the jig. Now as I mentioned above, you could probably build in some sort of adjustment (via shims) for that carry-through....but it would take some thinking.

Paul

Paul,
According to the plans it 1 1/16th for the carry through. I think the big question is which kit has the center section in it.
I know on the 7A kit it was sent with the wing kit.

The RV-3 is a bit curious. You can't necessarily count on the hardware matching the plans.

But if you have the QB wings from Van's, then you can measure it and then you'll be set for the QB fuselage.

Dave

Paul,
According to the plans it 1 1/16th for the carry through. I think the big question is which kit has the center section in it.
I know on the 7A kit it was sent with the wing kit.

Not sure what measurement you're referring to Bruce, but I am talking about the distance between the main spar and the rear spar - that is something like 40", and is the result of how the ribs fit between them.

Paul: on Dwg 21 there is a dimension from the back of SPAR BLKHD F-303 to the rear spar ctr section of 24 15/16. is this the dimension you are referring to.

Chris

Not sure what measurement you're referring to Bruce, but I am talking about the distance between the main spar and the rear spar - that is something like 40", and is the result of how the ribs fit between them.

Paul,

Must be the measurement Chris is talking about above.
I will look at that one.

Paul: on Dwg 21 there is a dimension from the back of SPAR BLKHD F-303 to the rear spar ctr section of 24 15/16. is this the dimension you are referring to.

Chris

Yup - that is the one. You need to build it to match YOUR wings (and if I recall correctly, it was very sightly different for our two wings!)

I'm confused, is there such thing as a QB RV-3 kit available and from whom?

You can buy QB Wings from Van's. You would have to look elsewhere for a QB fuselage (like where LOR is pointing).

Last edited:
Back